Lyra Atlas experiences

A few years ago, I invested in a Lyra Atlas cartridge / pickup. I have moved up, from Lyra Clavis in the early 2000s and Lyra Titan i later. The Atlas was expensive, but I have not looked back. Yet I wonder, can something more be done, to optimize the Atlas, in my system, and others. How can this remarkable pickup run its best. What are the best phono preamp and system matches. Should the system be rearranged. Have anyone done mods or DIYs to their systems to get the "reception" right? What happened? Comments welcome. You dont need to own a Lyra Atlas but you should have heard it, to join this discussion. Comments from the folks at Lyra are extra welcome - what is your experience.
Oystein
Ag insider logo xs@2xo_holter
Dear bpolleti: In the very first page of Herron site of the  model you own you can read this:

"""  "The Herron VTPH-2 gives listeners all the benefits of a tube unit with few of the failings and a text-book technical performance to boot. It offers a level of vacuum-tube engineering (carefully combined with solid-state circuitry) that's rare at any price, unheard of at this one." 
- Roy Gregory hifi+ issue 58  """

the input gain stage ( where the cartridge signal is " touched " for the very first time in the Herron. ) is a FET  ( SS ) gain cicuit and from there amplified signal goes to all the tubes on the Herron design.

In that same Herron site page you can read this:

"""  Tube complement(2 x 12AX7, 3 x 12AT7) - most popular, or
(4 x 12AX7, 1 x 12AT7)Gain MC Mode(2 X 12AX7, 3 X 12AT7) 64 dB 
(4 X 12AX7, 1 X 12AT7) 69 dBGain MM Mode(2 X 12AX7, 3 X 12AT7) 43 dB 
(4 X 12AX7, 1 X 12AT7) 48 dB
   """

Enough.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.

raul - Well, raul, you're wrong.  The FET stage is used ONLY for MC amplification.  Period.  The MM stage is all tube.  The FET stage just raises the input to the level where the MM section can optimally handle the signal.  The different tube complements are used to balance signal level.  This information is available directly from Herron himself in conversations with the owners of his products. 

The cited post says nothing about any differences between the FET stage and the MM stage except that the listener preferred the sound of his cartridge using the "infinite loading" available on the VTPH-2 MC input.  That would be through the FET stage.

Oh, but I momentarily forgot you're always right.  And you already said I can't hear anyway.
As I said, enough it's futile to go on with.

No, I'm not always right and I posted here about but some gentlemans like you just read but not really read and that's why your total misunderstood on the main subject.

R.
Rauliruegas, I am not sure I fully understood your posts. I own a Ypsilon VPS-100 phono and MC-26L transformer. I have owned the Lyra atlas in the past and have considered buying the SL version. I have owned several phono stages many being SS. At present l am using ikeda KAI, which I enjoy. But I miss the in your face of the atlas and have considered the addition. What stops me is I have become lazy as of late and have been listening mainly to my digital front end. Runs in cycles. Are you saying my system (phono) (rest of my system is SS) is a bad fit? I will admit I am getting older(60) and my hearing is not what it use to be. Although distortion seems to bothers me more then ever. My ikeda Kia rivals the best carts I have owned (and I have owned a lot). The atlas is the only one I miss. Your thoughts? I have temporarily posted my system for your responce. It is a "simple" one. After yrs of very large and complicated ones.
thanks