mc cartridge loading

I currently load an Audio Technica ART9 at 90 ohms, the load 'inherited' from another cartridge, am pleased with the sound but recognize the manufacturer's recommendation that at least 100 ohms be used.  Changing load requires opening the phono-amplifier case, somewhat tedious.   Is increasing the resistance (decreasing the load) worth the effort?
seventies
to lewm
Thanks for your response.
I might try reverting to 200 ohms, which is what is pre-installed in the phono amp, so involves removing the resistor I added in parallel without replacing it.

Right now, on two different turntables, I have set up a Koetsu Urushi, in one case, and an Ortofon MC7500, in the other, both looking at a 47K load.  Sounds really good, but not necessarily better than into, say, 1000R or even 100R.  (I do think I like them better into 1000R or 47K vs into 100R but would need more listening time to be sure.)  This is using an Atma-sphere MP1 preamplifier.
The loading only needs attention if the phono section is sensitive to RFI at its input. The RFI is generated by the cartridge itself in part due to the afore-mentioned resonance that is set up by the inductance of the cartridge and the capacitance of the interconnect cable from the tone arm. If that is kept low and if the preamp is stable the loading will have very little effect.

What is happening here is Audio Technica is essentially stating that the preamp they use isn't stable. Just because that is so does not mean that it is that way with you. If you do hear a difference (usually an improvement) with loading, it suggests that the phono preamp is unstable at ultrasonic or RF frequencies.

Bottom line: loading is about the phono section and not the cartridge.
In all the years I have been reading and talking to engineers who are involved with step up trans and carts this is the first time I ever heard this.

You can argue that the best impedance match on paper might not be the best sounding one.  But there Is a difference in sound.  It sounds like he may not want to go through the effort to experiment but it may be well worth the effort in his system.

You might look to some other forums where there are a lot of comment on this subject.

Enjoy the ride
Tom