The demise of the music CD inevitable?

Hi,

Back on campus, my senior year. Everywhere I look, its all earbuds and cell phones streaming audio. None of my friends would even consider purchasing a CD! I as well almost completely stopped purchasing CD's now that I have lossless streaming from TIDAL. It seems that SQ is not an issue anymore for this generation, its content that is most important and there is no loss of it out there in the streaming world.
grm
I’ve owned many digital discs as well including released in 80’s and still sell them online and at the store. Ones released in 80’s get the most return requests because they can’t be played on one’s player. I don’t sell CDs with marks or scratches, but still they skip and can’t be played on quite large number of CD players which means their life is over. I don’t care for what reason, but it’s over. My 80’s records still rock. A vs B or A-B or A><B whichever you prefer simple math shoves S to complex science ’bahind’. The reason why I refuse to sell imperfect CDs is again return requests due to the small scratch that claimed to be a culprit of not playing a specific song! 
Hey the long story short: Small scratch on CD can make certain players to skip. Small scratch on LP not even noticable and plays through with no surface noise at all. 
So forget the vinyl junkie terms, it's all real and it's all known very well about very very finite life of CD.

CDS aren't going anywhere in the foreseeable future.  They’re very durable, I have 25 year old disks that are just fine.  There's an enormous catalog of music in that format and is quite affordable new or used. I'm always finding new titles to purchase. Redbook CD sounds wonderful (particularly jazz recordings) with good quality digital playback components. 
but still they skip and can’t be played on quite large number of CD players which means their life is over. I don’t care for what reason, but it’s over.
This is not right, you can re-polish them yourself to get the scratches out use a coarse cutting compound then a fine polishing one.

Or take them to the video rental store and for a couple of bucks each they’ll put them on the dvd rental polishing machine which brings them up like new again in 5 mins.

Mind you there is an is a limit to the amount of times you can do this, unless you give them to the dog to play with every week, you can do it at least 3 or 4 times. I think twice for anyone’s life will do if you treat them right.

PS: Never scratch the label side, as it is the silver layer, scratch that and all you have then is a clear see through piece of plasitic.

Cheers George
I've got your point George, but I don't even come close dealing with scratched CDs and still they get returned in particular 80's CDs that skip on certain players. The buyer usually claims that the rest of CDs he's got do not skip. Therefore I removed all 80's CDs from the online sale. 1992 or newer..
For the first time I downloaded a free demonstration recording 96/24 file from ProStudioMasters. It sounded fantastic, and to my ears, much better than lower resolution CD. The only problem I see with high res downloads is the huge amount of Disk Space they take, I would need to find a large SSD dedicated to audio. With downloads however, my collection would be portable. This in itself is another reason the CD is just not viable for me anymore, yes, a hard drive may cough up a hairball and you could loose your collection, but high res downloads are a better sounding solution and they don't end up lost, scratched, in the wrong case, etc. Adding pain to injury, with my TIDAL streaming App, most of what I found on the download site was available to stream. I mean really, I'm finding it very hard now to justify any future CD purchase, it is in effect, obsolete.