INTEGRA DHC-80.3 Surround Processor

I'm a 2-channel music guy, who is about to take the plunge into his first surround rig.

Based on the feature set and functionality that I desire, my local dealer has steered me toward Integra's 80.3 processor for the hub of this sytem.

I have no experience with surround processors or Integra and am looking for some general feedback.

Are Integra's processors reliable? Good Performers? Easy to use? Priced fairly?

I realize that the 80.3 is brand new, replacing the 80.2.

I'd love to hear from current or past owners of the 80.2, or any of Integra's processors/receivers.

In this $2500+/- price point, is the Integra processor a good investment?

If you've had problems or found other brands to be a ***significantly*** higher value, please chime in.

If owning an Integra processor or surround receiver has been a good experience, I'd love to hear that too.

Thank you.
barrelchief
Hi Kal,

It wasn't so much that I comparred the new features in going from 80.2 to 80.3. I went to the dealer with what I was looking for and how I need the system to work.

After some research, he told me that, specifically, the ".3" software enables the pre/pro to perform as I need.

Essentially, I am adding the surround system to my high end 2-channel, tube rig.

The stereo channels will also serve as the main/front L/R, via my preamp's theatre bypass

Considering tube life & heat, etc., I do not want the surround system kicking on for typical tv watching, which will be the majority of the time.

I want the sound to come through the tv's speakers under normal circumstances. However, if we are watching a movie/concert, etc., we will then want the sound to go through the processor for surround.

The problem that we found with most processors, in this price point, (Marantz included) are that you have to drill into programming menus to switch between having the sound go through the processor or if it passes it through to the tv. It's not as simple as just flipping a switch.

I need something that can switch from surround to tv speakers on the fly, without "reprogramming" any settings.

I am told that with Integra's 80.3, you can program each source to default in either surround or pass-through.

We will set all defaults to pass through the sound to the tv, via hdmi. However, when the processor is turned on, it will automatically shut off the pass through and run the sound to the proper channels.

The dealer did a demo of this for me and it worked perfectly.

PrePro Off = Sound being passed through to the TV. PrePro On = No sound going to the TV.

My fear was that we'd watch a movie (in surround) at night and forget to change back the programming when done. This would result in me getting calls at work, the following day because there would be no sound coming out of the TV's speakers.

If the dealer is right, and it works in my home, as it did in the store, this addresses what is to me, a very important concern.

So, I really can't tell you what other enhancements come with the 80.3, in comparrison to the 80.2. However, I can tell you that the newer version handles a feature that is high on my functionality list.
I am aware of that, Kal. It's the functionality & ease of use, specific to my application, which has the dealer endorsing the Integra processor.

Supposedly, they they also tried to get the Marantz (dealer for both brands) to do the same and it would not.
I am not sure how your specific application demands something different from standard HDMI passthrough which is usually automatic requiring no buttons or menus. I do not have an 80.3 but every other recent prepro, so far, does this without any programming at all.

Still, if this function is critical for you and you are happy that the 80.3 meets your needs, I see no reason to deter you.

Kall