Lyra Atlas experiences

A few years ago, I invested in a Lyra Atlas cartridge / pickup. I have moved up, from Lyra Clavis in the early 2000s and Lyra Titan i later. The Atlas was expensive, but I have not looked back. Yet I wonder, can something more be done, to optimize the Atlas, in my system, and others. How can this remarkable pickup run its best. What are the best phono preamp and system matches. Should the system be rearranged. Have anyone done mods or DIYs to their systems to get the "reception" right? What happened? Comments welcome. You dont need to own a Lyra Atlas but you should have heard it, to join this discussion. Comments from the folks at Lyra are extra welcome - what is your experience.
Oystein
Ag insider logo xs@2xo_holter
o_holter: The Lyra Atlas has never actually skipped a track in my experience.  The mistracking to which I refer is a mild "breakup" on hot recordings of percussion, and piano is a good example.  It doesn't only happen on one LP.  I have heard it on a brand-new Music Matters reissue of a Blue Note, but I didn't write down the specific LP number.  I have also heard it on London CS 6996, Radu Lupu playing Schubert's Piano Sonata No. 5, where the breakup happens on side 2, last track, in the left channel.  It's rare, but disturbing when it happens.

I'll check all the parameters that stringreen recommends and report back when I've solved it.  Thanks to all.
Nandric...My wife was a lawyer (lost her about 12 years ago to a failed heart transplant that was done by the famous Dr. Oz....a much nicer guy in person than on television...we used to have dinner with the Oz's...his liscense plate was "Wizard" ((which I think was kool))  )  ...not much rubbed off on me.

Drastic....Personally I like the Foz. Yes it is very sensitive to voltage, consequently I use a new battery once, and then keep it for my smoke alarms. I’ve used mine 5 or 6 times, and think its easy and accurate...love the idiot lights ...... keeps the guessing at a minimum
Drastic....  Regarding the hot pressings that put down your Lyra..... I'm sure you double and triple checked all your adjusting parameters and the stylus itself.  If it isn't long in the toothe....if it were mine, I'd send it back to Lyra for an inspection/evaluation.  I would think they would do that no cost.....but....
Dear @drastic : """  on rare occasions and only with a "hot" recording of piano, I'll hear breakup in the left channel,   """

Maybe the hardest high recorded velocity LP grooves to track ( other that the Telarc 1812 bass range. ) are above mid range ( usually well above that. ) frequency range and especially on high velocities in a piano recording.

You own a great audio system and I'm sure that the TT/cartridge/tonearm is just on target as is its relationsship in between.

My experiences on similar phenomenon with diferent cartridges comes because a mistracking ( not set up. ). This " mistracking " could comes from a not very good cartridge/tonearm match ( that with you seems to me is ok in this regards. ) or because those recorded high veloties are over the self cartridge abilities and in this case there is nothing to do about other than test same tracks with a diferent tonearm.

All cartridges has tracking abilities limits and maybe that's what's happening in your Atlas sample.

Now, with those high velocity recording LP grooves is a must that the cartridge stylus tip not only stay in good shape but absolutely in clean/pristine condition and obviously that the cartridge suspension been in optimal operation conditions.

You said: "" on rare occasions "" , question here can be: always with the same piano LP tracks?

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.