Stereo Imaging

I think I've written about this before, but I wonder how many of us who use the same system for HT and music get fooled into suspecting the center channel must be generating the center image. I was playing the Abkco disc of "Let It Bleed" and found myself compelled once again to put my ear to the center channel to assure it was not generating the strong centered image I was hearing. Intellectually I knew it wasn't because I've tested it before, but the image is so strong it creates a cognitive dissonance. In a world of 7.1, I'm afraid I forget just how effective stereo can be in generating a soundstage.

db
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
In the digital domain, I can cleanly adjust multiple points of stereo imaging of my active L/R mains through a Behringer DEQ 2496. It's processing the unadjusted digital signal from my Pro from all sources. The DEQs' 1.0 stereo image setting is normal stereo, 0.0 is full mono, and 3.0 wide. This set-up keeps timbre matching correct in 2-channel while keeping the bass more centered for certain recordings.

My SVS Ultra13 sub is connected to the 2496's fixed balanced analog outs. For multiple channel sources, I turn on my Proceed AMP5. It takes a moment to independently adjust volume controls in multi-channel. Then, I use the Pro's INPUT SIGNAL adjustment of -8 to +8 dB's to control the entire systems volume.

The Pro's front panel has multi-channel volume attenuators for very fine adjustments of the front and surrounds, too. It's perfect to finey adjust the different timbres of my main's and surrounds.

This set-up allows a range of stereo imaging by blending my main's into the center stage, or, go full multi-channel.

As a side note, Subs can be challenging to set-up. The Ultra took a very focused listening session to set the high/low passes, and especially the phase and slope roll offs. It helped me to turn main's volume up to a "moderate low" and turn up the sub more to better hear the adjustments most accurately.
I use the center channel to fool friends all the time because since I tweaked the cables and upgraded my midrange ribbons it just sounds like (on a number of but not all) recordings that its in use. I fooled audiophiles by telling them how great the center blend was and non audio guys aswell. Its a fun thing to experience that really shows your room, system and position are really clicking! Having said that, the center is a absolute must for the best projector based widescreen movie presentation.
Getting a strong center image should be child's play for two speakers - and is on my system.

I want my soundstage to be much more than that though. Yes, a sharply defined centre vocal of a believable real size... but with its own space free of the next instrument on the soundstage. Then the other instruments on the stage extending well past the left and right speakers with their own individual space. Every instrument in 3D space detached from the speakers. I use my 5.1 HT's center and surrounds when listening to 2ch music. Love it. Love the localisation of each individual instrument and singer.
Although most of my recent SACDs are 5.0, and I play them as such, my own experience is that the forward facing soundstage Kiwi2 writes about can be generated by a pair of speakers with a stereo source. The ability to generate a strong centered image is but an aspect of generating a well imaged soundstage.

db
I'm not much for typical surround sound. I honestly don't believe most us truly have a room large enough to make it work. I have enjoyed demo's of dedicated 3 channel audio reproduction when all 3 channels were identical. I have found that in the better surround sound systems (in truly huge rooms) I've heard, the front mains were positioned further apart than would be typical in 2 channel stereo. In these cases the matching center channel seemed appropriate if not indeed necessary, especially for those out of the sweet spot.