Do we really need anything more than 8" woofer and 1" tweeter for medium size room?

With the right electronics good 8" can go down very low and relatively clean. And if that's not enough, well, two 10" subs would do it. 
Opinions?
inna
I cannot imagine (unless you have a very small room) that a pair of 8" woofers (in a speaker - not a dedicated subwoofer) will be anywhere near enough bass to really create a full range sound.  If you have a large 2-way bookshelf or even floorstander with 8" mid-woofers in them, there is no way that they will be hitting down to 25hz or lower in your room.  Even adding a dedicated powered 8" subwoofer (or a pair) will still not carry you down to the very low frequencies.  Now you may not listen to the types of music that even contain these frequencies, which is a different thing, but when you listen to some of the music that I do, there is A LOT happening down low that I never even knew was there until I bought a subwoofer like the G1.  Simple physics... if you want to reach really deep and have control at the same time, you really need a large sealed box, large woofer, and pretty decent amount of power.  And an 8" Sunfire subwoofer.... ummmm, no.
If I wanted to add subs I too would go with at least 10", but they would have to be fast enough. I keep hearing praise of JL Audio subs, and REL is well-known as a generally good choice for music.
So I listen to 12' full range drivers, open baffles, with a supertweeter. Recently added a sub for last octave re enforcement. I must say I find it amusing when people comment that 8 or 10" drivers dont do well in the midrange. Perhaps some designs dont but there are a lot of  respected opinions out there that full range drivers offer the best midrange quality rivaling planars. just my 2 cents. Fwiw, imo, theres no replacement for displacement as far as woofer size goes but 8 ' seems adequate for mid size spaces
8" woofers (or subwoofers), no matter the design, are never going to dig deep enough for the types of music that I listen to and as loud as I sometimes like to listen.