Cable Controversy

I love the cable forum. Discussions about cable can really generate sparks among the mature audiophiles. Regarding cable design: Other than the basics of resistance, impedance, and conductance, it seems that there is very little firm ground upon which one can form convincing conclusions. Witness the bewildering array of cable designs, incoporating network boxes, magnets, biased shields, liquid conductors, solid core, braided strands, exotic metals, air dialectrics, to name but a few. In contrast: Regarding balanced cables, at least one experienced poster and equipment designer has stated here that all balanced cables perform identically, once a few basic design parameters are met.  I ask for the voices of experience and sanity to offer their theories and experience on the topic of cable design and performance. Thanks in advance.
psag
Cables make aa difference sure but there is so much to do with components first that imp are the key to getting you there first.  Each system and your ears have to do with what you will prefer kinda like as vs tube sound but just go with what you prefer. Happy listening

@psag: Couldn’t you have posted something less controversial, like religion or politics?

I just came to this section to seek advice on cables myself, having recently upgraded my amp to a Bryston 4BST and preamp to a Krell KRC-3.

To expand on your request for a ’sit down and talk with an experienced listener with intact hearing..." permit me to submit a modest proposal as a spin-off of your idea.

What about a cable "crowd-sourced pass-around" program?

- Solicit trustworthy volunteers from AGON who are willing to participate.
- Seek donors among the participants here who no doubt have cables hanging around.
- Solicit product from vendors to include in the experiment.
- If security is a concern, we could require a deposit from each participant and refund when the cables are passed to the next recipient.
- Require each volunteer to catalog his equipment
- Establish parameters for the characteristics we use when describing audio (i.e. "ambience", "warmth", etc) but have a quantifiable metric for each on a scale from 1-10.
- Set up a BLIND SURVEY via website where results can be gathered and later tabulated.
- Once the cables have all been passed around and data collected, we could analyze the results, compare it to the equipment sets, and hopefully come up with some reliable, more empirical results which members here - both current and future - could use as a guide to finding what’s right for their needs.

As a freelance marketing consultant who is also a music and audio enthusiast, this project would be of great interest, and I would be happy to do the work of setting up the survey.

Just a thought.