Stillpoints Ultra6 reference vibration controlers?

Category: Amplifiers

I started to work in audio in july 1998. I remember that the first day I started I had a blocknote with me. I started in room 1 of the loudspeakers. Here it all started to write down properties of each individual tool. For a long time I was addicted to audio. I was busy with audio for 80 hours a week. It was never enough for me.

Almost 17 years later I have done thousands of tests in audio. From the mid level till highend. I became aware that I could judge and understand audio a lot more easy than all my collegues. But I never understood why. Untill in 2012 I became aware that I have a photographic memory in sound. I trained this part of my brain for a long time. Every single audition I can recall. So a second audition I see in front of me and the first one is on the left side. Within a few tenths of a second I know already the difference between them.

When you are aware of all the properties of each individual 'tool' you will see and understand the patterns between them. And you will understand the connections between them. This means you understand how the stage and overall sound has been created. I can see 3-4 steps further than other people in audio can.

I judge every single tool on what I call Total Sound. Total Sound is like a blue print of the original sound. When I audition sets from 'new' clients, at shows or at another audio shop in almost all situations it is what I call 'incomplete'.
In most 'new' sets I need to bring in parts of Total Sound to make it complete. At the end it is so much more addictive to listen to any set I 'repaired'.

Parts of Total Sound:

- Soundrealism: you want and need an instrument to sound like
in real. I use Pass labs amps to the max for this. It is the
focus on sound of each different instrument and voice. For
example: you want to hear the difference between 2 acoustic
guitars of a recording. I always want to hear the full
pallet in the mid freq. The timbre is an essential part
of listening to music

- 3 dimensional soundstage: this is the most exiting part of
audio in general. This sets your beloved music in full 3D
in front of you. During listening you can focus on each
individual part of a recording.

- Intimate sound: instruments and voices are very small in
dimension and very direct in sound. You want a realistic
proportion of instruments and voices. Intimate sound has
a very big influence on our emotion.

- Blacks: The space between the instruments and voices with
their acoustic information during the recording. This is
level of physical appearance. You want to touch every single
instrument and voice of the recording. Germans use the word
'darstellung'.

- timing and speed: it is a very important part for authority
and control of the overall sound. Better timing will give
you less acoustic limitaions. But also a more natural sound.
Biside this you also can reveal more layers of the low freq.

- Resolution: you want to hear all details of the recording.
And it needs to be physical apparent.

- Air: This part gives the instruments and voices the freedom
during listening. Separation makes your music so much more
appealing.

- A big freq. response: When your system goes deeper in freq.
response you will hear more information of a recoding. This
also has a big influence on our emotion. People can hear
till maximum 20 khz. But...the freq. response above it
influences our brains.

- articulation of voices: how clear you can hear word
endings, breathing of singers and moving lips.

- heights: When I received 2 sets of the Audioquest Wel
Signature xlr's it became more clear than ever. It makes
listening to music different and even more appealing.

I wanted to tell this information first before I start with the review of the Ultra 6. Because it makes it much more easy to understand how I work. By using tools for their properties you always will reach a superior endresult in sound. For a perfectionist like me you always go to the max. There is no room for error.

When you have done thousands of tests like me, you are aware of how important and unique the working of Stillpoints are in your set. I am a stillpoint dealer and use many of them in my set. They are an 'essential' part for the absolute sound. Why? Because they can add 'new' qualities I could not create with other tools.

At this moment we speak I do a lot of research with new tools and systems. I call it creating a new 'statement' in sound. Because I want to reach a higher endresult than ever before regardless price in audio. It is a higher level of accuracy and realism than before.

Without Stillpoints I would not be there were I am at this moment. When you compare the Ultra 6 against the other Stillpoints you know how much better they are.

I put them under my Pass labs X350.5. They operate in a different league. They even bring your set into a new zone. Like it puts your set into pause and it sets your music free. Your stage becomes wider and deeper and you get more air around all instruments and voices.

The mid freq. becomes more involving than before. Also the authority and control of the mid freq. is more precise.

When you compare amps or sources which have a huge difference in price ( 2000 dollar against 10.000 dollar+) you will never have this difference in timing the Ultra 6 gives to you. It is mindblowing in what it does with the speed and timing. It becomes so much more accurate and refined.

I noticed that the sound of a piano and cello becomes so much more natural sounding.

In the high freq. you will reveal more details. And again the control and authority in the high freq. gets to a much higher level.

The low freq. go deeper than before with a much higher level of authority again. You hear more layers but beside this the natural sound of a bass drum has never sounded this 'real'.

I am the first person who bought then in the Netherlands. And I am thrilled to own them. They are a crucial part of my set. They will have an important part for me to be able to create a new 'statement'in sound.

When you ask me the question; are they expensive? You know they are even rather cheap for the quality and level they bring. I'll love them till death!

Sound&Vision Consulting 16-2-2015
128x128bo1972
It depends in which price league you are looking.

The funny thing is that they delete my post when I tell the truth. The truth in audio is rather hard. Audiogon lives by advertising. I understand that, they don’t want you to write things what will be negative about some brands.

I don’t believe in any 2 dimensional audio. But most brands are 2 dimensional. These are facts, and they count most. This is something I cannot change.

I have talked to many people who told me that they always were looking for the sound they hoped to find. And when I talked to these people I found out that all the sets they owned were 2 dimensional.

It is a fact that any kind of 2 dimensional audio will be after time not that interesting anymore for people. This is based on our emotion. Because when you own a 2 dimensional system the distance between you and your music is too big.

It is not able to create enough emotion to be liked for a long period. This is why people try to look for new parts in their set.

I have proven that only when people go from 2 dimensional to 3 dimensional audio they will use their set a lot more. And also for a longer period at the same time.

And again this is based on the emotion of us human beings. When you own a 3 dimensional system you are pulled into the music. This brings you closer to the music. It will become a more intens and emotional experience.

Most brands and also series of loudspeakers do not own crossovers and the d.n.a. to build a deep and wide stage. These are the essential parts to be able to create a 3 dimensional stage.

Even when you would own a speaker who is able to build a deep and deep stage. You still need an amp and source how also own the properties to build a deep and wide stage.

In 18 years of time I have tested many many amps, sources, cables and other parts to find out what the d.n.a. is. But it takes a lot of time to be able to think and work in properties.

I started to work in audio in 1998. I worked for about 40 hours a week. Beside my work time I spend about 40 hours on testing each week. I was addicted to music and sound. And this never changed.

These days I still test a lot and this makes my knowledge and insight grow on an on. Audio for me is like a Formula 1 car. You want to improve over and over again.

When you are not able to think in properties you choose audio by trial and error. This means that you only judge the endresults. This is very limited because you miss a lot of the information you need to understand why the stage and sound is what you hear.

Based on the knowledge I have now I understand why all the shows and expensive sets I auditioned in the past sounded so limited.

Because they were incomplete. This means that they miss parts of Tru-Fi. When you miss parts of Tru-Fi you miss parts which influences our emotion. The level of emotion in the music is of a lower qualtiy.
The Utopia, Sopra and 1000 series are able to create a deep and wide stage. The cheaper one are not good in creating stage depth and width.

I think this also will count for the Aria’s. The 28khz tweeter I see as a limited tweeter. Because you still will get harsness in the high freq. 

The Monitor Audio Gold speakers use a superior tweeter compared to the tweeter of the Aria.

Even the Utopia tweeter can give difficulties in high frequencies. In many auditions we counterd these issue’s.

Dome tweeter I call second WW tweeter. Because it is so limited based on many parts.

I would never sell a loudspeaker in the price range of the Gols series with a dome tweeter. I hate any kind of limitation. I will never sell any kind of limitation to any client.

A few years ago I listened to Monitor Audio PL200 and PL300 series I. I didn't think they were horrible, but I didn't prefer their sound. A few months ago a really good friend told me I had to hear the new Monitor Audio PL500 II. I did some research, talked to a few people and took a chance. I've owned several speakers over the years(Mirage M1, Revel, Aerial, Wilson Audio) and have listened to many more. The PL500's are simply the best speakers that I've ever owned. In my humble opinion they represent a very good value and maybe one of the best speakers available today. Unfortunately they aren't talked about as much as some other speakers. I can't speak for their other models, but I love the PL500's.