In-walls for 6 & 7

I have no experience with in-wall speakers, so seek recommendations for rear channel, i.e. 6 & 7, speakers. It seems as though there is little programming, even in newer films, with 7.1 sound, so I wonder what audio needs to be accommodated. The speakers would be driven by a Proceed Amp 2. The LR mains are KEF Reference 104.2s, center and surrounds KEF Reference 102, all with matching dome tweeters. I had originally planned to hang a pair of redundant KEF Reference 102.2s, but the carpenter convinced me in-walls would be cosmetically better. Any recommendations? Is my assessment of a paucity of 7.1 material accurate?

db
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
While there is not really much in the way of true 7.1 material that doesnt mean you wont benefit from added speakers in a suitable space. The processor will create the sound routing to the 6 and 7 speakers and give a more emersive surround experience.
If you sit 5 or more feet from rear wall and place middle surrounds at your seating area the added channels will IMO be worth the expense, in wall speakers will often allow aiming of atleast the tweeter towards you if you choose.
I think based on rooms that can handle it 7.1 is a definite improvement and makes for more enjoyment.
If you get in wall speakers I have only heard one brand worth listening to-Thiel
Chad,

We just finished watching the first half of the Blu-ray remaster of Fantasia. The audio is 7.1 DTS Master HD, and the Cary Cinema 11a shows it was receiving 7.1, but I have it set to only do 5.1. I have no idea what the Cary does with the signals for channels 6 & 7, but the sound track sure gave 4 & 5 a workout. Made me wish for rear speakers.

db
Vernneal,

It seems as though a pair of Thiel in-walls would be $1800. That seems a lot to spend for rear channels. If I had to hide the front LCR speakers, $2700 could be justified.

db
I would look into Klipsch in walls, my father has some and I think his were around $500 per pair. Granted he didnt go crazy as he did with all others but for those channels a good speaker is a good speaker, the model he has features directional tweeter and level switch to tame any percieved brightness plus as all Klipsch are its very easy to drive.