Can I use a step up transformer?

Hi everyone :-) I am currently using a .3mv cartridge (Dynavector 20x2) with a phono pre amp (Manley chinook) that only has a 60db output for LOMC, I am not getting the gain I would like, I feel like I am at the boundries of over loading my tube linestage (Manley Jumbo Shrimp) with the volume at 3:00 o clock position.Would this kind of a device even help fix this issue? Where does it hook up?  Assuming it would.... And If you wanted to spend under $2000 for one, can you recommend one that should work well with my system?

Thanks

Matt M
128x128mattmiller

The design philosophy of my Basis Exclusive is the opposite of

the design of Halcro's Halcro. My MM stage can be only used in

unbalanced mode while except the input capacity for 100pF and

320pF there are no other adjustment possibilities. The MC

adjustments possibilities on the  other side are ''endless''.

There are the 12 fold Dip switches for the resistance and 6 fold

switches for the ''gain adjustment''. The min (basis)  gain is 32 dB

the max 70 dB. The added gain (to 32 dB) can be adjusted with

+ 4 dB, 8, 12, 18, 24 and 32 dB. The (obvious) recommendation

is to chose the lowest possible gain in order to get the lowest

possible noise. Ergo: for the LOMC's is the question if +.-70

dB amplification produces more noise than an well chosen

SUT.

Dear @thuchan : So have you answers to all those simple questions that  coming from what you posted and where you did not any explanation?

My question here is: have you specific answers or not ? and if not its ok, no problem but just tell us about one way or the other. Don't be " shy ".

regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Dear Raul, I am a little puzzled. You are stating in this thread:
> > "I’m not an expert on SUTs I’m still learning about and what I find out is that the most important subject is to match the SUT ..."

and also:

> > "in my case I experimented for more years than you with the best vintage and today SUTs and with today and vintage top PS, either SS and tube designs.“

Which statement should I follow? Anyway maybe we shouldn’t care so much about these two statements.
Regarding czarivey`s suggestion why not going for higher output MCs? In general he is right, when you are using weak phono stages (are you ? :-) this may help to get more dynamics.If you are running a phono pre with 60db gain you will not go very far with 0,2mV LoMCs – In this case you need going for higher output Mcs. But - and this is the downside: The effective mass is much higher, you have more coil on the cart carrier. Unfortunately this hinders the dynamics!LoMCs are always the spearhead of dynamics but with low output! There is no free lunch.

You are asking me why I said: " facing two coils looking at each other, the one of the cart, the other of the SUT. You need harmonizing both .... "where did you learn this because in your opinion it is " false " too. Raul, this is the basic principle of SUT matching. What should be false here? This is what you are dealing with when you are matching a SUT.You need trying to harmonize the specifications of the coil of the cart with the coil of the SUT. You described it very well when stating it`s not only about impedance matching.
If you do not accept this given fact you should not start dealing with this matter.
Anyway, I remember you asked me why I said some days ago „it is not an easy job matching LoMcs and SUTs“. Hope you understand better now.

Deciding which SUT is appropriate is a matter of personal taste and careful matching!
What were your favourite SUTs and LoMCs when you did your matching experiences?
We all want to learn from your experiences. Don't be shy too...
Dear @john_tracy :  Yes, mi mistake. I was thinking other thing and out of focus.

Anyway, increment in noise means lower dynamic range and noise is a kind of distortion too that we don't want it in any way. We don't want chage the original  characteristics.

In the other side normally PLP manufacturer gives the unit specs at certain " levels " and almost no one gives specs/characteristics at full output and the manufacturer normally try that active and passive parts on his units stay at " safe " area and problem is that not all manufacturers takes  provision of this and its parts instead to stay at 50% of the active/passive part manufacturer specs works ( normally ) at 80%+ of its intrinsec capacities and this is a problem against: " distortions at minimum " and for the PLP stay on manufacturer specs.

Yes, a designed PLP ( Phonolinepreamp ) for cartridges with at least 0.3mv can handle cartridges not even with 0.2mv but 0.15mv or 0.1mv but we have to " pay " for it: higher distortions. This is the real subject not only those numbers you are talking about.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Dear @thuchan : """  tuning the SUT by changing the capacitance I would not recommend  .."""

this is what @halcro posted:

"""anywhere from 10K Ohms to 60K Ohms and the cartridge responds in the same way that a MM does. """

he did not  talks about capacitance.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.