Ice Amp 125ASX2

Are amps with this module comparable to the better class AB amps? The Tripath amps tended to be weak with bass and highs were a bit rolled off...so I guess I'm wondering if the ICE Amps have solved the problems inherent to Class D? Thanks   
seanheis1
Oh, I just realized something.  If you are going from PC to ICE, how are you getting the balanced input??
Hi Erik, I tested them with a USB external DAC with my PC, also with a Marantz AV receiver, and with a Chromecast audio....all streaming Tidal for the source material...I never did balanced input. I can see how a linear power supply would be nice. With my PC I got ground loop until I plugged it into a ground removal adapter. Same thing happened to me using studio monitors with Class D amps built in so I assume it's the switching power supply causing the ground loop.  
I have two Icepower based amps. I have never heard an Icepower amp that could be described as "warm" sounding though I do use an ARC tube-preamp with one and that does add just a nice touch.

My second is a digital integrated amp with more recent Icepower. Its a great sounding unit but not at all for those seeking "warmth".

seanheis 1,

Sorry the Ice amp didn't work out for you.  Like many have mentioned, class D amps are very neutral and add nothing to the source signal.  I own 3 and they all have that quality.

With my 1st (CassD Audio SDS-440-SC), I paired it with a VTL preamp with NOS Mullard tubes that warmed things up more to my preference at the time.  Over time, however, my taste has changed and I now prefer my music detailed and unadorned.  I sold the VTL to a friend about a year ago and, surprisingly, I haven't missed it.   On the plus side, my system is now so quiet and neutral that I can easily notice any upstream changes, including cabling and power chords.

But I understand everyone has their own sound preferences and I think you now at least better know your own.

If I was aware you preferred a warm sound, I would have advised against a class D amp unless you wanted to use a good tube preamp.

Wish you the best,
   Tim
More to discover