Elac B5 and B6??? Just another flash in the pan speaker?? or worth it

Has anyone bought or now own either the Elac B5 or B6  bookshelf speaker designed by Andrew Jones.  I ask because I recall when the Wharfdale 10.1 speaker can on the market, there was a lot of good reviews and testimonials,  The same occurred with arrival of Music Hall's  "Marimba" speaker" and to a certain degree the  Dali Sensor 3. 

At the time, I was looking for a speaker to just play around with and compare to other speakers I familiar with their sound.  However, I owned the firs two models , and though they were decent sounding speaker, they were not anything special or so called "keepers"  I sold both at a lost.  My Bad!!   BTW, I did not expect a pair of Magico or Wilson's Duettes to emerge from these boxes 

However, I think it unconscionable of reviewers to hype up a product to a level of it being able to take on the "big boys" ,or ".....speakers costing 10X  as much...". Or in, the case of Elac bookshelf speakers  to cite the designer as some type of genius who whipped up these babies in his spare time!!!   

Therefore, I would like some feedback as to either how good to outstanding the Elac speakers are, or whether they are just another passing sky banner of springtime hype.  Thanks    

sunnyjim

I wouldn't discount the Wharfedale 10.1/10.2 series as a contender.  I've yet to hear them, but someone who I trust says their quite good. I would think personal taste would be the deciding factor in the $200-$400 price range. That, and partnering electronics.

Everybody has their favorite speaker, and the problem with the internet is that fans tend to congregate and each be singing from the same songbook, so to speak.  This is also true with Andrew Jones fans.

Not to say that he can't make a good speaker, it's just that so can every other decent brand.  What's more important than what Elac fans may have to say is, how will a particular speaker sound on YOUR gear.

I just finished demoing the Totem Dreamcatcher and Tannoy Revolution DC4.  Both have 4" drivers in compact cabinets, but each one has a completely different approach to the end result.  Tested with an HK PM625 employing its A/B speaker switch, the Tannoys sounded colored on some songs and quite good on others from the same album(cd).  The Dreamcatchers elevated the vocals better at times, and had superior bass.

But when I connect the speakers to a Nad C326BEE, the Tannoys are always the winner because of the Nad house sound.  Bottom line, you can't judge what someone may be saying about the Elac B5/B6 because A) one has no idea what a given poster may prefer, and B) his gear/cables most likely has a completely different sound than your system.

Bottom line #2, any speaker with such a low price as the B5/B6 is going to have many compromises over a more expensive speaker.  The question is, can you live with the weaknesses or not.
The unifi Ub5 they sound high end, I heard them at axpona, I own both the wharfadale 10.1 and 10.2 they are more musical than any Elac I listen to, but they don't have the Elac quality sound.

jayctoy- We can't let you off that easy (-:  I'm close to purchasing the Wharf 10.2 for a small 2nd system. Integrated if my plan comes together, will be a Heed Obelisk. So the 10.1/10.2's are more musical than the Elac. I will take that as a bit more laid back, less critical, perhaps more refined..... Please confirm the above, and elaborate on "they don't have that Elac quality sound."  Cheers -Don 

...i heard Elac B5 numerous times and you can drive them with practically anything...they are very musical...full...have the sound that is "imitating" sound of high end speakers...to my ears they are more musical than Dali Zensor series and Bowers 600 series who need carefully matching and need more pricey equipment behind to sound proper...Elacs are less mechanical sounding...but the thing is when you heard the bunch of much more expensive speakers you can clearly hear the box talk which you cant blame at this price point...but damn good sound for my taste...their floorstanders are gorgeous sounding also...