Help me choosing Phono Preamp

Hi,

I need suggestion in choosing a quality phono stage (SS or tube, new/used) under $3000 to mate with Denon DL-103 cartridge. The cartridge has very low output voltage around 0.18mV. Few pre I considered are Manley Chinook, EAR 834P, Liberty B2B-1, and MF MX-VYNL. All of them seem to require a step up transformer to work with DL-103. I don't like the idea of outboard transformer, and also I want to keep number of boxes as minimum as possible. Is there any outstanding pre out there (full function or stand alone phono stage) with input sensitivity close to 0.15 V to work with DL-103 ? Other qualities of the preamp I am looking for are: utterly transparent, extreme resolution, but not lean/thin/weak in sound, MC and MM both options will be a plus . Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sunny

topmostaudio
Agree with the K&K. There are two models, the Maxxed-out and Trio. The Trio is available in kit form if desired. Both are designed around SUTs and therefore can handle the lowest of output MCs. No extra interconnects needed. Both utilize two inexpensive Russian tubes. I tried rolling some more expensive 7308s and found the stock tubes far better suprisingly enough. My Maxxed-out has 2 sets of gain switches internally and the load switch is on the back. There is a mute and polarity reversal switch on the front. Kevin is the best to work with. Rapid response anytime it seems.
Other choices include the new baby TRON phono stage - the Convergence. This comes either as MC only or MM only. They are built to order. You should be able to specify a 1:20 internal transformer, which should suit your Denon perfectly. I have compared this in my home system to my TRON Seven Reference and I would say that it delivers 90% of the performance for a tiny fraction of the Seven cost. The really good news is that the cost is GBP1000 i.e. less than USD1400 given the precipitous fall in the value of Sterling.
An other alternative might be the Paradise DIY 4 box phono stage (size of Naim shoe box units). That is also said to be stunning. One of the guys on Pink Fish builds these for forum members for about GBP1500.
Cary 302 if tubes are your preference
Parasound if ss is what you prefer

spending more is an option but either of these are excellent and after which it's the vinyl quality that matters

of course the tonearm and table are crucial, but if you go the route of either of the above you are headed in the right direction 

Also just saw a rave review of the iFi iPhono 2 by Fremer on Analog Planet 

jtsnead, interesting that you mentioned LKV.  While searching the internet I came across this one. While the spec looks good but the gain is little low side (max gain 62dB). Is this gain amount  ok ? I noticed other phonos like Audio Flight phono has gain 72dB. I am not sure if the low gain of LKV would be a problem. I would appreciate any impression from its owner.