Audio Research Reference 6 Preamp Review

128x128elem79
jafant, I came from a Ref 5 SE and was able to compare both side by side. The 5 SE is a wonderful preamp and loved it dearly. Comparing the two, I could not go back after listening to the 6.  

By comparison the the 6 is faster yet sweeter sounding while adding detail. The bass especially is more defined while sounding fuller at the same time. Soundstage is wider, but probably the biggest change is the depth of soundstage. The great depth the ref 6 offers leads to some stunning layering and very precise imaging all adding up to more holistic you are there feeling. 

I did not read the review - audio is so subjective and in the end personal never mind depending on what other pces your have paired up so below are only my thoughts.

I owned the 5se and had the chance to demo the 6 THINKING that it will likely only offer minor improvements - but brand new out of the box I could already clearly hear positive SQ differences. I had a Anniversary also in my system which I could have gotten at a very attractive price - very nice but in the end I preferred the 6 never mind taking up less real estate.

I also had a 10 which I did prefer over the Anniversary but upon listening to the 6 I found the later to offer more similarities SQ wise than differences - hence my decision to purchase the 6 and use that extra coin for music.

I also prefer the 6 over my highly regarded Vac pre's (Sig & Master) too which shocked me, both costing substantially more.  

As long as you are listening to music that's all that matters - there will always be something around the corner that offers something different.

dev, thank you for your candid feedback. I am looking for a opportunity to audition LS28 and Ref 6.  

Initial reports do indicate trickel down technology in foundation series from reference line. 

I own the following ARC gear: LS27, PH7, PH8, SP20, SP10, SP15a, LS8Mk2, VT60, D60, 2 D240Mk2, D400Mk2, Ref110, Ref150, CD3Mk2. I listen to the stuff in various configurations with the only limitations being the Ref110 and Ref150 do not have a SE input and the SP10 does not have balanced outputs. Everything is connected by either Litzlink and Litzline (both black and grey jackets). I use a HO version of a Dynavector xx2mk2.

Reliability: I never had a problem w/any of my equipment that is the backbones of four systems. One of the  D240Mk2s has a solder joint issue that occasionally causes a 30 second or so disruption.

Sound: The newer stuff is quieter. The Ref150 is in a class by itself. The D400mk2 is the best solid state amp I have ever owned and it has much better bass control than the REF110. The LS27/PH8 combo is much better than the SP20. The SP15a is a very strong contender. The SP10 is not as extended in both ends and sounds artificially euphoric compared to the LS27/PH8 or the SP20.

I have not compared the PH7 v PH8 v Phono stage of SP20. I will also eventually get around to using the PH6 with the SP15a and SP10 linestages.

Thoughts??