recording shows from cable TV?

whats the best way to record a show - for example - a tennis match from Tennis Channel into some format that I will be able to keep forever. I have the regular DVR box that allows me to record from Time Warner, but I have to get a new box at least once per year since the box craps out. Maybe onto some permanent storage system that I can keep forever? Maybe something better exists nowadays? suggestions
goldenears7
so, if I buy a DVD-recorder, I would just take the signal out from the cable box, then go into the DVD recorder, then go into the TV? Isnt the cable box smart enough to stop my ability to record certain channels?
I think if you use digital signal feeds to your TV and go analog audio and lower video feeds you can get around copy protection, just a trial and error thing.
whats the best way to record a show - for example - a tennis match from Tennis Channel into some format that I will be able to keep forever

What OS are you currently using on your computer ?

Have you thought about this :

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-media-center/
The analog outputs from your cable box into your DVD recorder ,should work.That's what I do.Of course it's standard definition.Before that,I used a VCR.Try to buy one with a 30 day return,just to be on the safe side, but I never ran into a copy guard.
I'm pretty sure that you can record a show on your DVR (for ease of initial "capture"), and then output it to a DVD recorder.