looking for ideas on a tube pre amp

I recently purchased a new pair of Focal Sopra #3 speakers and would like to try a tube pre amp with them. My main listening speakers have been Magnepan 20.1s with upgraded x overs for several years I purchased the Focals mostly to give my listening room a breath of fresh air even though I doubt I will ever part with my Maggies. I am currently using the Parasound JC2 preamp with the JC1 amps and mostly XLR cables so it would be nice to have a pre with XLR connections, I have been looking at the Audio research pre amps it would be nice to from someone that has tried several pre amps, I am giving myself a budget of about $2500. 
jeff99
I was in the same situation last year, substantial investment in XLR interconnects as well. I was leaning toward ARC and considering CJ, but wound up with a Primaluna Dialogue Premium. Purchased new, it left me with enough dough to pick up some RCA cables to match. I’m so pleased with the purchase. This is one component that I am likely never to sell. It’s about as solid and musical as I could imagine and a ton of fun to operate. It makes my all digital rig sound fantastic. I’d replaced a Cary with it; and though I loved the Cary, the Primaluna has the clarity of my prior SS preamps (Parasound and Ayre). Focals are fantastic- enjoy the ride..! I’d previously auditioned a slew of tube pres from CJ, Cary and BAT and really liked the BAT pres for imaging and sounds stage.I felt like the Primaluna is as good, better build quality, and less costly and finicky.
Thanks for the reply, I should have mentioned I am looking to soften the vocals without losing detail and soundstage. I will look into Prima luna.
jeff99, When listening to a Primaluna Dialogue don't over look the substantial impact tube selection can make in taking you to the tonal response you want. It can make or break it, tube selection that is. Stock tubes are rarely ever the 'last word' in potential.
Have you thought about contacting Keith Herron (Herron Audio) to see if he has a VTSP-1 trade-in that would workd for you?  IMO, that preamp, with all the latest mods, outperforms any new or used ARC preamp with a current price twice that of the Herron unit.
I used BAT VK-31se with jc-1s for a while and loved the combination. I would look at a used BAT if i was looking, I'm sure you can find a nice BAT in your price range.