difussor's

I "think" im in need of some sort of diffusing on front wall of small listening room...I would be really interested to hear some experiences of some that have been through it...don't think I need an absorber type...as I have some bass traps in lower corner...just lacking clarity of sound stage...diffusor?
digsmithd
thats true rhl...work in progress and that does make more sense...but the back wall is a folding closet...sooo
With the Adagio's 30" out, and the small size of the room, isn't this a near-field setup?
Diffusion panels on back wall, and ceiling is a good idea.
Absorbtion panel only on wall behind speakers to focus the image.
If the the wall behind your listening position (back wall) is a folding closet, you can try using some fabric wall-hangings. Or something similar to stop standing wave reflections.
I would also like to suggest you take a look at Acoustic Fields videos on you tube. Lot's of great information there available for free. Just my two cents.
Diffusers on the front wall would still be for "live front".  Diffusers don't deaden sound, they just make it more diffuse (break up the reflection to cause less interference with the direct arriving wave at the listener).  

Front-firing speakers (except for maybe horns) don't radiate only toward the front.  The *desired* wave is only forward, but there is still plenty going toward the sides and to their back, just aim a speaker away from you and see how loud it still sounds!  The higher frequencies are less toward the back, though, and unfortunately the lower frequencies are much less easily diffused (or even absorbed, for that matter) than the highs.

But a dipole speaker (most ESLs, Magnepans, Apogees, Linkwitz, etc) radiate the same toward their back as toward their front.  It is a good idea to deal with the back wave, either break it up with diffusers (if you want to keep the room sound lively) or absorb it (if you're ok with some deadening, or want an easier route than constructing diffusers).
More to discover