Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
Wolf, I agree that a lot of this is hype. Lightning strikes can have as much as 1,000,000 volts so twice that for a fuse is just what it sounds like, hype. Everything would melt no matter how it was applied. But it doesn’t negate the positive results. It’s just marketing. Popularity and demand will extract a price as well. I detest the term "supply and demand" due to misuse but here, it applies.

From my own experience, the now superseded HiFi Tuning fuses that I use really work. I’m on the fence about getting some PADIS fuses but for $25 a pop, I could live with it since when compared to the current run of HiFi fuses and others, they came out as more neutral and extended.

Heck, I spend more on wine tasting so all I have to do is stay home one night and get the five fuses needed to do the deed. I’d also raise some eyebrows here for buying a Todd Begg Mini Bodega but I like it enough to justify the cost. Now, there is something that can be debated as any good knife will do, but in the end, it’s what "I" like.

All the best,
Nonoise

No noise wrote,

"Wolf, I agree that a lot of this is hype. Lightning strikes can have as much as 1,000,000 volts so twice that for a fuse is just what it sounds like, hype. Everything would melt no matter how it was applied. But it doesn’t negate the positive results. It’s just marketing. Popularity and demand will extract a price as well. I detest the term "supply and demand" due to misuse but here, it applies."

Uh, not sure I agree with your detective work. Maybe you’ve never seen somebody place his hand on a Van de Graaff generator that produces up to 5 million volts with very low current. The person's hair goes straight up, but nothing else happens. There is no melting. Volts are quite harmless. It’s the amps that’ll get ya. 

Geoff Kait
machina dynamica
no goats no glory

Geoff, you're right. My bad. If anyone, I should know this as I used to work in a capacitor factory (my first job) and was knocked out by a 1,000 volt discharge. Upon awakening, I was told, "It's the amps that'll kill ya."

I guess I suppressed  that memory because everyone was laughing when I awoke. But there is some spin going on. :-)

All the best,
Nonoise

wolf ...

1.  There is nothing "suspicious" about these SR tweaks. Either they work for you, or they don't. If they don't work for you, send them back for a refund.  What is suspicious, is your constant negative clamor about products you haven't tried and won't try.

2.  As I've stated before, I don't care how these things work, only that they do. 

3.  I never vilified you for your criticism, only your penchant for claiming that there are nefarious agendas going on by myself and others posting here. As I've stated before, its insulting. 

4.  How would you know if any of my claims are "exaggerated" if you haven't used, or even tried the products being discussed? 

5.  I challenge you to order a ten-pack of SR's HFT's, and place them around your room as directed, and then report back here with your findings. 

wolf ... until you've tried the tweaks being discussed in this thread, you have no real basis for your specious arguments. You can either step up and try the tweaks, or remain like Cleopatra ... in denial. 

With the above said, what this thread has turned into is much akin to a bunch of really cool guys with common interests having a beer or two at the local pub. Its all good fun, until one person has a little too much to drink and starts becoming obnoxious. The obnoxious guy is pushed out the door by his now exasperated friends, perhaps with a slightly bruised ego ... only to return time and again to piss in everyone else's beer.

OP

I'm retired and am no shill for SR. I worked in the AV industry for a couple of years in the early aughts as a break from management consulting, but we didn't carry SR (and, at the time I paid retail for the SR AC Master Couplers). I'm long retired and have no financial or other interest in SR or any other audio brand. I pay retail for every thing I buy, unless I find a sale or closeout on something I want to check out. My components are relatively modest, but they are of sufficient quality that I can easily recommend the improvements wrought by accessories from SR and others (I'm a big fan of Herbie's products as well). At this point I only have one SR cable in my system (on my REL), so I can attest that you don't need to have an all SR ecosystem to benefit from the fuses, HFTs, FEQs, and such.

Having said all that, I AM a shill for teen car control clinics, the real deal where we get the kids out on the skid-pad, learning emergency stopping and lane change skills, practicing what to do when you put two wheels (or more) off the pavement, even backing and parallel-parking drills. We give the kids and their parents a couple of race track laps at speed and then let the kids safely drive their cars on the track with a skilled instructor riding shotgun. These are skills that simply aren't taught in the typical "Driver's Ed" course, at least in California.