Newbie With Magnepan 1.7is

Hi all,

My name is Peter and I recently purchased a pair of year-old Magnepan 1.7i speakers from someone local after hearing them in person (he was running a PS DAC Directstream + pre-amp + amp, playing DSD files from computer + could change songs via Wi-Fi on his phone--with no sub, stuff was awesome!).

I’m looking for some advice on what to get for my own set-up. My room will be a 17’ x 16’ living room with wood floors, and 10’ of the 17’ side will open up to a dining area. The corner on the far side of the same 17’ wall will open up about 3 feet along the 16’ to a long hallway. I would like to set up the Maggies for music, and the occasional movie (maybe 2-5% of the time). Would like to be able to play music via Wi-Fi and be able to change songs on my computer and/or phone. (My computer is really good already since I built it for photo-editing purposes, but would I need a dedicated sound card?) Also would like to be able to add a subwoofer down the line (maybe in 3-5 years).

So far, I have:
- Magnepan 1.7i (pair)
- PeachTree 220 Amp

Trying to keep my budget for pre-amp + BT bypass + cables under $1,200. Am OK with used/older equipment here. The guy who sold me the Maggies told me I could do a receiver + amp. Can make me some recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
128x128mazerunner
Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments!

I might just stick with the PeachTree until I test the difference with the Brystons later on. But if I get a separate sub down the line, would it matter (switching to a Bryston)?

I bought a Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A2050 receiver. Hoping it'll suffice for the Wi-Fi capabilities and A/V while pumping out enough power + all for now. If not, would it make sense to have the Yamaha + [buy-a-pre-amp] + PeachTree 220 to 1.7is? Do I lose anything by adding an extra component?

For cabling, someone recommended Blue Jeans Cable. Yay or nay?

The Mye stands look nice! Might order those as well in a month or so.
Hello,

I'd like to add my 2 cents if I may... the preamplifier of an audio system is what passes ALL the sources on to the power amp. Too often the focus goes heavily in the direction of the power amp, and the preamp choice process is neglected.  In the case of Magneplanars, the power amp choice is a more delicate balance than with the majority of other speaker types, but the preamp should be at least of equal quality. I'm not sure what made you decide to use a home theater receiver as the sole "preamp" of your system, but I urge you to explore high quality preamp models to compare with the sound you are hearing as you route your music through the Yamaha. I'm sure what you hear sounds nice enough without having anything else to compare it to, but I've been the owner of several Maggies over the past 30 plus years, and I can assure you that they will reward you for every improvement you make in the chain of components, and source material you use. Btw, I think the 220 is a fine amp to use with those speakers. 
A receiver with Magnepans is just wrong. The Magnepans are more of a music speaker than home theater speaker, ihmo.
This has been argued before, rehashed many times about the power-current needed for good sound from the maggies.
I have the mmgs and have powered them with an integrated tube amp at about 32wpc and alternatively the Parasound A21, which is a ss amp with tons of current at over 400wpc on a 4ohm load
Hands down the mmgs sound much better with the A21.

Using a receiver with 1.7s will not bring any good sound with the Magnepan speakers. It will simply strain the receiver IMHO. I heard the 1.7s with a very large McIntosh amp and they sounded larger than life.
Very, very sweet.

If I had the 1.7s I would think about a dual-mono design amp or just 2 mono amps. Maybe Musical Fidelity or Pass. Perhaps two JC1s would sound great.