Great bookshelf or small towers suggestions

I'm looking to upgrade my main speakers for home theater/music setup.

Currently have Sound Dynamic 300 ti's that are about 16 years old. I have a Marantz 5009 AV receiver and some Orbs for side and back channels. I have a sound dynamic center speaker too. The room is 11x15 with a fairly low 7' ceiling. I want to replace the LR main and Center speakers.  Budget < $5K.

floorplan:  http://tinyurl.com/zd68dqf

Soundwise I am after improved brightness and up front treble and mids. I am not the biggest bass nut - a) I have downstairs neighbors and b) I've played drums for 40 years and have heard it all. I hate being bounced out of my seat every time stuff explodes and mainly want to hear dialog better for TV and clearer more sparkly acoustic pianos and spangalang of cymbals like they're in the room with me.

So far from what I've heard in stores, I liked the Magnepan .7's a lot. But they just won't fit the space. Too wide and didn't pass WAF. I listened to a few other speakers - mid level B&W's, Golden ear, martin logan, and so far little compared to the magnepans except maybe the BW 805D3's - which are way over my budget. I thought about looking for used 805d2's. I did like a pair of Focal 714's and could probably live with them. But this is the last pair of speakers I ever want to buy. So I keep coming back to thinking about the new 805's or something close.

I've been interested in a lot of the factory direct speakers like the Sierra Tower & 2's but it bothers me to buy speakers I can't hear first.

Any advice appreciated.

Thx!
wolfernyc
If you are buying store brands, Monitor Audio Silver series, no question, especially used. 

If you are up for making it yourself, or having it made, the ZRT's will devastate the B&W's or Focal's in the range.

Add about $900 to the kit part for the good Mr. Taylor to build them for you.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2.5-way-speaker-kits/zaph|audio-zrt-2.5-way-revelator-tower-pa...

That tweeter uses the same motor that's the basis for the current crop of Magico's. The Revelators are stunning and deep woofers.  If you want to go with a Be tweeter, the Klang-Tong Nada with a single Scanspeak woofer may be your last speakers ever.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2.5-way-speaker-kits/zaph|audio-zrt-2.5-way-revelator-tower-pa...

Again, those Scanspeak woofers have amazing bass. Especially if you are going to go with a sub for movies, one of these woofers in a ported cabinet will stun you.
I also like Paradigm as well as Monitor Audio Silver. The Monitor Audio Radius line does very well for small speakers, and measure very well, but are pricey for what you get. 
If you are open to Open Source (kind of) speakers, the Klang Tong NADA will smoke the Sopra's, and can be built floor standing.  Contact Taylor Acoustics.  You should be able to get a pair for under $3k built to your favorite veneer.  The single Scanspeak woofer is deceptive and has TONS of bass.  They won't have the full dynamic range of the larger B&W's, but have a much better treble and natural balance. 
I just don't think I'm that adventurous yet. I just can't see buying something I couldn't hear first.  It is a cool idea though and I admire the DIY ethos. Although I have come close to just taking the plunge on the ascend towers.

I've been shying away from used speakers too.  I owned a pair of used Mordaunt Short speakers and blew a tweeter.  It took 6 months to get the person I bought them from to make a warranty claim for me to replace them..

I did audition a few things. I got a chance to go to Innovative Audio and heard Linn Majik 140's, and 3 different Spendor two ways.  (D1, A3, one fo the classic bookshelves)

The Linn's sounded the best but were too big.  I'd be interested in hearing the Linn bookshelf 109's but they sold their demo pair.  The Spendor towers were 2nd best - lots of bass.  I was very impressed by the two way speakers overall.  

But so far I really didn't hear anything that had the bright high end of the Magnepans or the 805D3's I recall hearing. 

I need to go back there and hear a few more speakers: PMC and hopefully the Linn 109's.  Then I need to try a few other places.

Thx