Oppo BDP 83SE- RESULTS ARE IN

I recently purchased an Oppo BDP 83SE as it replaced my PS3(first edition). I am a home theater buff(75/25) and pay very close attention to audio detail.

I configured the Oppo 83SE for 7.1 analogue and noticed an immediate positive difference in the audio spectrum as opposed to HDMI audio. I left the HDMI for video duties. I set all my speakers to small and set my distances and left the trims at 0..

A/B Comparision: There was a cleaner and blacker field between sounds. Voices in Transformers 2 were cleaner and more real. Explosions had more dramatic impact and sense of dimension. The surround effects were more prominent, detailed and more precise than in digital. Sounds that were low keyed or voiced jumped out more but weren't overdone. Overall the soundstage was very articulate and had greater realism. My Onkyo SC-885 processor is simply amazing for home theater but I chose the better processing of the SE as the analogue in the Oppo SE is just astonishing....Unbeatable.....

I will later post results in 2 channel analogue as I cant stop feeding all my blu rays to test this machine!!!!LOL

I am extremely impressed with the Oppo BDP 83SE's player. I hadn't experienced analogue before and didnt know what I was missing. On the video side the picture on my Samsung 58" plasma looked amazing...The Oppo really put alot into this machine and gets great regards from me...GOOD JOB!!! AAA+++

Regards Bacardi
128x128bacardi
All, I can actually cycle my settings through my Oppo SE & Onkyo from HDMI and analogue on the fly. It is fairly noticable the differences between the two.

Regards Bacardi
Longhornguy, via the analogue Oppo SE I noticed a more detailed and clearer soundstage. Also the bass was more prominent.

The HDMI Onkyo sounded laid back and sub bass seemed to be masked.

I do want to address the fact that my 5.1 analogue cables are different from my system cables. I am 100% sure that when I change the 20 year old Monster 100 series rca's to Synergistic Research Tesla Accelerators with Galileo mpc's the difference will be distinctively huge.

Regards Bacardi
I took delivery of a nearly new Cary Cinema 11a Saturday, and hooked up both the analog XLR and HDMI outputs of my Sony SCD-XA5400ES to it. In this case, we preferred the HDMI, but then the XA5400ES can output DSD from certain SACDs via HDMI and the C11a can process that bit stream. Multi-channel music can be spectacular.

The audio from the PS3 and HD-DVR go via HDMI through a DVDO Edge video processor to the C11a. (Video goes directly via HDMI to the projector.) As noted in an earlier post, the PS3 outputs only PCM 5.1, whereas the C11a can process the lossless protocols. I think I need to start looking for an Oppo BDP 83 for the media room and an 83SE for the living room to go with the Proceed PAV.

db