Vandersteen 2xx - 100,000 units?

Vandersteen claims to have sold 100,000+ units of their model 2xx speakers over 30 years.

Does any dispute this? To me it seems incredibly remarkable. That they have been able to continually refine this product and still keep it selling well AND somehome avoid "the latest thing" syndrome to me speaks volumes about product quality.

Am I missing something?

What they've accomplished seems better than any positive review.

Wouldn't they be the ones to beat in their price range?
128x128jimspov
I think you'd have a chance in a smallish to medium room with 35wpc.  I ran 2CE sigs to good volume in a very large 27x16x10 room with a 60w ARC VSI60, but of course it's material dependent.........
I would say strive for at least 50WPC, but the only way you'll really know is to try it out.....in your space......

Here's an old video of my system in those days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVzW7mT0KCM
Post removed 
Those new sigs are really quite remarkable for the cost. Richard has always given you more than you expect at each price point. It's pretty amazing that he's been able to do it.  

Is the number real?  Yes, of course it is.  Richard may be called names by some as he's opinionated and direct (and still a great person who has passion and knowledge), but liar isn't one of them.  If you look at the years they've been out and figure out how many he makes daily, you'll realize that he's sold a TON of them.  He's one of the few who have moved from lower priced to higher priced speakers and still been able to offer value at all levels.  Few companies have been able to do what he's accomplished and that's why he's on the Mt Rushmore of Audio and is as respected by industry insiders as anyone.  He also has a great dealer network.  I've met many of them and they are all similar in that they care and will go out of their way to help customers or future customers.
My equipment is much like OROS. I have the 2CE Sig II's. I use a Line Magnetic 216i integrated tube amp. I have also used a Parasound A21 with these speakers. Both sound fine with Vandersteen.

My short story....
Once I left the military I had decided to treat myself to a decent modest stereo upgrade. I went out with demo music at as many brick and mortar audio stores within a 60mile radius of my home as I could find. I wanted to LISTEN to many speakers before buying a pair. I listened to speakers made by KEF, Infinity, Klipsch, Magnepan, Paradigm, B&W, Focal, PSB, Rega, Totem and a few others. In the $3K price range I found the 2CE Sig II's to sound the best. Actually the Magnepan 1.7 was very close and sounded as good or better with some jazz and vocal music, but the bass was slightly better with the Vandersteen. Speakers are often a matter of taste, but for me the 2CE Sig II was just a great value for the money. They sound best with space around them.

I have since bought Maggie MMGs for a second system.
Funny as so many Vandy dealers also sell Maggies. Both are totally different sounds that are similar.  Many reviewers (as well as we owners) feel that Vandy, for a 'box' speaker sound like a point source. That's what Richard has been able to do and why his speakers are and have been soooooo special over the years.  He hasn't had one dud in anything he's brought to market.  His new amps are crazy good.  Best amps I"ve ever heard, but that's because  they are made for his 7's (or any of this that need a high pass amp).  I hope he does the trickle down on that amp for the Quatro and 5's!  His new 9 subs I bet will become the best powered subs on the market for the cost pretty soon too.  It's just what he does.  It's why he's always mentioned when talking about manufacturers who give you more than you expect and then support the heck out of the product.