Vandersteen 2xx - 100,000 units?

Vandersteen claims to have sold 100,000+ units of their model 2xx speakers over 30 years.

Does any dispute this? To me it seems incredibly remarkable. That they have been able to continually refine this product and still keep it selling well AND somehome avoid "the latest thing" syndrome to me speaks volumes about product quality.

Am I missing something?

What they've accomplished seems better than any positive review.

Wouldn't they be the ones to beat in their price range?
128x128jimspov

Showing 6 responses by ctsooner

Those new sigs are really quite remarkable for the cost. Richard has always given you more than you expect at each price point. It's pretty amazing that he's been able to do it.  

Is the number real?  Yes, of course it is.  Richard may be called names by some as he's opinionated and direct (and still a great person who has passion and knowledge), but liar isn't one of them.  If you look at the years they've been out and figure out how many he makes daily, you'll realize that he's sold a TON of them.  He's one of the few who have moved from lower priced to higher priced speakers and still been able to offer value at all levels.  Few companies have been able to do what he's accomplished and that's why he's on the Mt Rushmore of Audio and is as respected by industry insiders as anyone.  He also has a great dealer network.  I've met many of them and they are all similar in that they care and will go out of their way to help customers or future customers.
Funny as so many Vandy dealers also sell Maggies. Both are totally different sounds that are similar.  Many reviewers (as well as we owners) feel that Vandy, for a 'box' speaker sound like a point source. That's what Richard has been able to do and why his speakers are and have been soooooo special over the years.  He hasn't had one dud in anything he's brought to market.  His new amps are crazy good.  Best amps I"ve ever heard, but that's because  they are made for his 7's (or any of this that need a high pass amp).  I hope he does the trickle down on that amp for the Quatro and 5's!  His new 9 subs I bet will become the best powered subs on the market for the cost pretty soon too.  It's just what he does.  It's why he's always mentioned when talking about manufacturers who give you more than you expect and then support the heck out of the product.
Glad you like the speakers.  That's a special speaker for the price.  Richard won't ever make a monitor.  More than a few reasons, but you need bass to feel music and get that emotion. I had gone the monitor route in the past and was never fully happy until I got full or near full range speakers.  Many Vandy dealers will sell the Prima Luna amps.  Vandy's all go great with tube gear as well as zero feedback SS gear.  They really aren't difficult to drive.  The thing is that all his speakers seem to get much better with any upgrades within your system and I love that. Some speakers just sound similar regardless of what you feed them.  

As for the 9 subs, Richard was working on coming out with a new speaker.  It would have been a mega 100k speaker.  He just couldn't get it to sound coherent and point source which has always been and continues to be his goal.  The result however is the 9 sub's.  They will be sold in pairs and will use an external 7 series high pass crossover.  That frees up your amp from 100k up.  With out having to worry about the bass to reproduce, your amps will be very happy and most probably sound better.  It's the same type of subs he currently sells, but the cabinet is in the shape of the 7's and it's the auto paint like the 7's.  They will go for around 15k if I recall correctly.  It's not really cost effective for those with Quatro's and most probably 5 CT's due to the overall cost of the speaker.  I you take 30k for 5's and add 15, you are nearly at the cost of a new pair of 7's (money is a bit different when folks play in this level  and NO I'm not one who can ever play at this level, but I can still love what I get to audition, lol).  Just like all of his subs, the best part is that you an dial in the sound to the room you are in.  I've not heard the prototype's, but I'm sure I will soon enough.  I already love the bass in the 7's.  Tight, articulate...all the superlatives can be used in describing what I heard a couple of weeks ago while auditioning the 7 mk2's, but the word that really comes to mind is the word REAL.  Everyone I spoke with who heard the system that day said the same thing.  Richards new amps had a lot to do with it all also I'm sure.  

Hope that answers questions on the 9's. :)
He showed them in Newport this past week.  You can see the pics when you see his room set up.  Forget which site had it.

Thanks for sharing Johnny.  They really are nice looking compared to some of the other huge boxes out there, lol.
The number is much north of that I'm sure.  Isn't that number a few years old?