What's going on with the audio market?

Recent retail sales reports are very bad and I am hearing that sales for audio equipment have been nonexistent over the past few months.  I also see more dealers putting items up for sale here and on other outlets.  Even items that have traditionally sold quickly here are expiring without being sold. 

To what would you attribute the slowdown?  Have you changed your buying habits for audio equipment and, if so, why? 
theothergreg
I forgot to mention that living in Colorado gives you legal access to the least expensive, most effective audio tweak I've ever become familiar with. My county is 70% public lands and still remains sparsely populated with just 150,000 people in an area of 3350 square miles.
My property taxes for this year are $487. No audio stores other than Best Buy but I have no reason to care about that. Clean air and incomparable scenery. Ideal location for solar panels. Maybe relocation would make this topic moot for some of you. Worked for me.

Grannyring - Thanks for the up vote.

You are all right on. IMHO
I am 53, 35, forever into eternity (God's system rocks!)

My first, full-time job out of high school was in an audio showroom.
I took a "raisin' kids" break for 10 years, due to limited $$$, but have now looked to rebuild a system. It has been bizarre. First instinct was to return to what I had-ish. Old school media, etc.

Due to a major shift in musical taste I booted my entire content at the 10 year ago point.

This means, now I am both old school (in muscle memory) and new school (in building EVERYTHING from scratch).

Options like Class D amps, MQA encoding, $15/mo unlimited content and Roon Labs to play it, etc., is cramping my memory muscle.

I have ended up returning to what I knew, more so, especially as the new is REALLY new and I want no to live on the bleeding edge. Yet, I wonder about just how good the old stuff I have bought still is (not an engineer, DIY type). I look at the bottle of De-Oxit I bought and wonder if I want to learn how to use it at the expense of my $4000 Audiogon system (McCormack, Azur, Inifinity, Transparent -- to give you a sense) or, just wait for the "next-fen" gear to purchase.

Frankly, the real rub seems to be that in no way can I imagine ever buying the content in traditional media to support a "best system" -- even if the system were given to me free in a will!

That media would have to become much less expensive than it is now, especially in it's currently inflated "fad stage". This said, I will admit a great challenge I see in the subscription service (MQA) option is being able to know the source. Honestly, I think therein lies the great opportunity of this age. To make an MQA encoded digital content library worthy of the old school, class A, gear. A library provable as drawn from the purest spring and put in a digital pipe to drink.

Whatever gear elegantly serves both ear and pipe fitting will do just fine in the market place.

Next to all that, but entirely separate, is the great recession we are only now beginning to come out of. Twice a century, a major business cycle event happens, such as we have just had. In the last 100 years, it was the great depression and the great recession.

Following such an event the recovery tail is MUCH longer than the normal 3-4 years of a standard business cycle. It can be 10-15 years before an economy "returns" in all ways. This is a correct statement to the record of the last 700 years!

Where we are now, two things are real (historically and I believe also today) the upper 20% of the population sees around 5% growth in their wealth (mostly from investment) as the markets recover first. The other 20% have a flat wealth experience during the flatter main street recovery tail.

Two results in behavior:
1. Luxury items are ON HOLD!
1. Populous politics rule.

SO.
Audio is experiencing a metamorphosis in content form and delivery.
Wallets owned by the masses are closed for another few years.
Folks with last gen gear/content are in a season where they should enjoy the music and put me in their will.

(Am I joking?)

"Enjoy the music"!
Lan

BTW, I like Hans Beekhuyzen's reviews!
Lotta Colorado guys in this thread. I suggest you already have the best sonic tweak available in your state. Legal weed. May need no other upgrades.
rippet - Your observation certainly applies to me. Key lies in being satisfied. Weed expedites that transition but it can be accomplished without as well. Going all the way back to the penny stock days, we see that the driving force behind or hobby has been dissatisfaction with what we own. That dissatisfaction is now focusing ever more on the whole predatory exploitive industry that evolved to exploit our dissatisfaction in the first place. 
Come on out to Colorado and grow your own tweak. It's a better DIY than tube rolling or making your home brew cables. Speaking of brew, Colorado was the birthplace of the home brewing phenomenon that grew into the craft beer industry. I would suggest that it is the best state in the country. And if those who don't agree stay away, we can keep it that way. Nice to have RMAF in your backyard too.