Cartridges in general

The MM thread is in decline because the driving force Raul left his own thread. Besides the thread become to large so not easy to find whatever. Meanwhile J.Carr made the suggestion to extend the thread such that it would include electret , electorstatic and optical kinds in addition to the usual MC and MM kinds. J.Carr is invited to give some
kind of introduction to those 'strange kinds' of carts as the start for this new thread.
128x128nandric
I'd like to find a T2000 for sale, just for curiosity to hear how it would mate with the MC2000.  However, like you, Raul, I generally try to avoid SUTs altogether.  In fact, I don't own one. Nor have I ever owned one. On eBay one occasionally sees the Ortofon T3000, but not the T2000. We are going to visit our son in Japan in a month from now, and I intend to search for a T2000, among other items that interest me, in Tokyo. 
Dear @jcarr :  """  Given Raul's fondness for MMs and MI cartridges, I've never understood his outspoken aversion to MC step-up transformers. True, a stepup transformer will increase the magnetic distortions of an MC cartridge, but the larger magnetic circuit of an MM or MI cartridge has the same effect. I don't see why one approach should be favored over the other. """

I started to post in Agon about MM/MI cartridges  around 2006/2007 ( this is before the MM thread ( 2008. ). ) but everything started in 1999/2000 year when I decided to DIY an integrated Phonolinepreamp and for that joined Jose. I had very precesily targets and one of them was two separate and dedicated phono stages: one MC and one MM/MI where both cope each one cartridge special characteristics/needs.

When that project finished I re-started to listen my MM cartridges and started to buy many other cartridges and was the first time that I heard the MM alternative in a Phonolinepreamp dedicated in specific for MM cartridges and what I heard just loved and time latter I knew I have to share it with the analog audio community and present it as a true and real cartridge alternative to the LOMC one.
In the begening I was really exited and discovered somany cartridge audio " things " that I was thinking I was discovering the " black thread ". That's why that foundness you are talking about.

Now, why that history?. Well, you posted in the MM thread that even of our MM discoveries the MC technology was a superior one and you gave the reasons and in those times I posted my disagreement with you.

Years latter and when the " hurricane " of the begining gone and stay more " calm " I learned on the MM vs LOMC quality level performance ( through many tests with both kind of top cartridges. ) and I posted that effectively you was right and that the MC alternative was and is a superior one. No doubt about but even that the MM alternative in a dedicated MM phono stage is some performance areas a true challenge to the MC alternative.

In the other side, I have no aversion per-sé as you posted for SUT's as a fact I used SUT's just from the time I owned my first LOMC cartridge ( Denon DL-103. ) where I bought a Denon SUT and I'm still own 5-6 very good SUT's modified by me.

Things are that when we started the Phonolinepreamp my second target was a unit with active high gain: NO SUT down there. The final result was and is just astonishing for say the least.

A good SUT can't compare with a good active high gain stage Phonolinepreamp where its design copes with the LOMC needs ( only SS bipolars copes 100 % the MC needs. Unfortunatelly this cative devices are really hard to " handle " and that's why we don't see it very often on active high gain phono stage designs. ). Both frequency extremes are the issue and especially the low bass range.

One of my SUT's is the best Denon design ever ( 1000, this unit weigth is over 10kg. ) that I modified and with the right cartridge comes very near to my high gain stage. Its frequency response is really wide and started at 5-8 hz to over 110khz and is dead silent.
There are other very good SUT's as Audiocraft or Technics or Sony or Entré ( the owners and designers of Entré are the same guys of today very expensive cartridges/SUT's: My Sonic Labs. These same guys were at FR in cartridge/SUT designs and they designed the FR MCX-5 cartridge that for me is perhaps the best performer on those vintage LOMC cartridges. ).

A good SUT will be sound good if it's coupled to the right MC cartridge with the right low gain phono stage design.

So as you can see there is no aversion per SUT  and I still love the LOMC cartridge that as you is a superior technology.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Nandric,
being rich on carts & SUTs is not a bad thing at all.
Using no SUTs is like having missed half of one`s (musical) life :-)
Greetings to NL & D.C.

Hi dear Thuchan,we missed your contributions for some time. I am glad to see
that I provoked you to react. Alas only a part of your statement is true. The one
about my carts(+ 50). I own since recently just two SUT's : FRT-4 and Denon AU-S1 . But I should listen to our genius friend Daniel 10 years ago. I forget
his argument but , if I am right, this has someting to do with 'mutal' relationship
between impedance and inductance of both components. This argument scared me to dead because in my interpreation this meant separat SUT for each of
my MC carts. You should be thankful because in this case I would need to lend
the money from you (grin).