What's going on with the audio market?

Recent retail sales reports are very bad and I am hearing that sales for audio equipment have been nonexistent over the past few months.  I also see more dealers putting items up for sale here and on other outlets.  Even items that have traditionally sold quickly here are expiring without being sold. 

To what would you attribute the slowdown?  Have you changed your buying habits for audio equipment and, if so, why? 
theothergreg
Post removed 
Mapman really got at one big driver of Aphile behavior of late. Even the remaining aging Aphile consumers are getting plain old fed up with.....

"Not many buying the hype anymore these days"

Gear is so darn full of hype and at crazy, I mean crazy, high prices.  It is out of hand and many of us are jumping off the crazy train. I blame industry manufacturers and retailers for their lack of creatively and tired ways. Yes, some are doing it right and will survive, but many "high end" companies will be gone over the next 5-10 years.
I am 63. I have been a hobbyist since college, (AR table, Sherwood integrated, EV speakers). Spent a decade in the business. Owned and sold equipment in an age when a Iowa town of 100,000 had 5 local stores, selling ARC, Magnepan, Polk, Thorens, Infinity, Bozak, ESS, Ohm Walsh, a/d/s, Klipschorns, Altec 19s, AR-9s, Tannoy Dual Concentrics, JBL Century, Hafler, Carver Amazing, Epicure, HK Citation, yada, yada. The town has grown to probably 170,000 and now has a single Best Buy. I am sadden by the decline in brick and mortar stores. Part of the decline is the challenge all local retail faces as online options impact our economy. The decline also, more importantly I think, reflects the turn of the fashion cycle between generations. My children grew up with great audio (and left home with systems I put together)-so its not that they were not exposed to quality, its just not as important to them. Conversely my Depression surviving parents must have shook their heads as I became more and more obsessed with musical reproduction, (even had a "career" in it). So much of our identity and preferences are of the time we grew up in. Hey if you were in college in the 70's you wanted the best system you could afford, for status with the guys, and sex appeal with the ladies, (turn down the lights and put on that Moody Blues or It's Beautiful Day you've been hiding). Today's hipsters are measured by their phones, tats, taste in microbrews, etc. -it's not a value thing, it is all equally valid/ridiculous. They will lament when the last "Body Ink Artist" closes shop due to their kids finding their own, necessarily different, aesthetic.

There will always be plenty of good sounding gear to buy.  More so than ever.   Because technology and things in general move forward.   Its not as hard these days to get top notch sound as it was years ago.   Only a few still scrape and claw at every last possibility at any price.  Most people are just listening to their music and loving it.    Including old timers like me that live and learn.   I've bought into some hype and maybe even a tad of BS in years past but am better these days. 

So the days of living with old ways of the past for the industry may well be very limited but the ones that continue to truly innovate and adapt will continue to fill the market with good products that can keep most everyone happy one way or another. 

Consumers will be fine, including those seeking the best possible sound.