what does a power conditioner really do?

and why would one really be necessary 
shoe
I do not use a power conditioner. I use the original Naim Wiremold power strip only for my sources, CD, DVD, DAC, Preamp. I keep my Levinson amp plugged straight into the wall outlet. I have mounted the Wiremold on a block of Maple wood to keep it off of the carpet. It contains no fuse, not light and no off/on switch. 9 high quality outlets, non current limiting.

You can Google Stereophile.com and read a recent review of the newly upgraded products being offered by AV Options.com. Cryogenic treatment options as well.

www.avoptions.com › service › pricing

N

cousinbillyl117 posts05-15-2016 9:04pm

I am in Ontario, Canada. Ontario Hydro has installed smart meters. To maximize their profits, they feed us 125V. Big problem.

I can assure that it's either not big problem or not problem at all.

I had the same question. Asked a friend who is a nuclear, electrical and sound engineer who designs and builds (and sells) his own speaker, interconnect cables and AC power cables.
He intsalled an Audio Magic pulse gen ZX within my Amp to clean emi/rfi and had me buy a Furutech GTX-D duplex receptacle for my wall (look 'em up). Both were jaw dropping improvement. Cleaner signal, blackest background, greater imaging and wider, deeper, higher sound stage. The only other time I experienced this degree of improvement was the first time I spent a few grand on really good cables (his of course).. Would have taken a $20,000 amp AND speaker ugrade to notice as big a difference. Those 2 items above would set you back around $800.. Oh, I should mention I didn't really think I needed anything and liked my sound fine at the time. So.....
Ask Ralph Karsten of atma-sphere on what he recommends with his monster power amps. He will suggest an industrial power conditioner which was often used by military, laboratories, hospitals etc etc other across the planet. It’s called the elgar the unit is setup as 240 v input 117v output and connects to the breaker box.

These units are all discontinued. It has 3000va continuous output. And 15000va peak. It can run 2 Atmasphere MA-2 power amps and still have juice for all your dac and preamps. It has the fastest response time on the planet.

The unit is approx 200lbs.

I think they sell for 4000.00 dollars fully reconditioned.
This is a email msg ralph karsten sent 

They run off of 240V so you have to hook it up to your breaker box. You would then feed your audio room with the output of the Elgar. It has enough current to easily supply your entire room, even if you had a set of MA-2s.

It regulates AC voltage (no need for a variac) and uses a massive transformer to isolate the AC output. There is then a low distortion oscillator that is locked to the AC line frequency- the unit compares this oscillator to that of the output of the transformer and applies a correction signal to a feedback winding on the transformer. The result is a low distortion sine wave all the way up to full power, free of spikes. It puts **all** high end audio power conditioners to shame.

Ralph also mentioned these clean up 5th harmonic distortion waves. It also has the lowest distortion rating and the fastest response time.

If you are looking for a ac conditioner these are the ones to get.