Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Oh, and let's not forget our educational system. But, you know what?.. I really don't want to go any further down this road. Mea culpa for taking that detour; it was pertinent (in my mind) about the discussion about the music. This is a thread about music and this topic is most definitely a provocative one. So please consider this a retraction of my comment. But, if you must...fire away.
There are some rap/hip hop artists and tunes that I enjoy as much as anything else these days, at least in limited doses.

A musical trend is a musical trend. The only difference is the magnitude/extent and the perspective from which you observe it, which has a lot to do with ones personal life experience.

Music can be a great unifier. I find it all to be of interest.

Disregard any specific genre completely and run the risk of missing perhaps an important part of the big picture. Or missing out on a good learning opportunity at a minimum.

I find I enjoy music the most these days when I just listen and pay no attention to genre labels attached.

Then there is culture and various levels of culture, including high culture. They all have something to say musically. That's part of what makes music so fascinating, at least for me.
Great post, Mapman. I salute you, sir. I especially liked:

****Disregard any specific genre completely and run the risk of missing perhaps an important part of the big picture. Or missing out on a good learning opportunity at a minimum.****
Frogman, thank you for withdrawing your comment. Knowing what to say, when to say it and when not to say something is a sign of a cultured person. Although truth be told Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, John Coltrane & Wynton Marsalis are nearly always talking about race in America with their music. It's a quality that rap/hip-hop shares.