? about oppo

what is all the hype about, are they really that good? and if so , why would anybody buy a thousand dollar player? has anyone used one with powered speakers? if so , which ones? thanks doing research on a small system to do video and music in a 10 by 10 room...
dwhitt
Blu ray is so good, Ill never buy a dvd again. It would be nice to have a oppo983h to get the best out of standard DVD's. But its not really important after seeing blu ray. Obviously if you have a older hd display(rear project), or a small screen(30" and down) you wont be seeing a big difference in picture between blu and sd dvd like there actually is. The bigger the screen(currently using a 50"), the more you realize Standard Dvd's limits.

Buying a $3k standard dvd player seams abolutely pointless unless you just have the money to make a old format sound to its best abilities. If you are just looking for the best video/sound you can acvhieve in home theater. Buy blu ray movies. You just cant beat no compression.
Agreed. I have 1,200 standard def DVD's and no interest in viewing any of them any time soon. Blu Ray (and the limited HD discs) are it for me.

1080P rocks!
Yeah I order only Blu rays from Net flix. I don't bother with regular DVDs any more. lol
WHEN OPPO MAKES A BLU RAY PLAYER, ILL BE ALL OVER THAT. WITH THERE FEATURES/PRICE RATIO, CAN YOU IMAGINE!
However a 983h as a transport, cant really be beat, its as good as can be had(read stereophile about the old 971 for there opionion as a transport feeding a good DAC it was as good as the Ayre cx-5e universal player, and that beat out the CX-7e slightly in there review!

Not to mention, the video really cant be beat. You will however, beat the sacd and dvd audio performance with analog outputs as well as the 2 channel out analog. But use the hdmi to a prepro with hdmi, and the sacds and dvd audios will once again be as good as it gets.