? about oppo

what is all the hype about, are they really that good? and if so , why would anybody buy a thousand dollar player? has anyone used one with powered speakers? if so , which ones? thanks doing research on a small system to do video and music in a 10 by 10 room...
dwhitt

Showing 7 responses by sthomas12321

Nobody ever believes me, but hi dollar equipment pieces will soon be dead. Technology is getting better and better. Look at oppo. It will beat out the hi dollar denons, and the 983 has said to do so in every review Ive read. Look at new released Denons receivers and even some low dolar new line receivers. They now have all the latest blu ray formats and even using a low cost PS3 can access them. How are you going to beat that sound, that has little or no compression, no matter how much you sink money into a high dollar standard dvd setup? It is only until a format takes over cd, that hi dollar 2 channel sound will come crashing down as well.

I decided early this year, put your money in some killer speakers, cut no corners, but when it comes to components, its only time till technology has passed our human hearing. Im not sure that time isnt here already with movies in HD audio formats? Different shades of warmth, brightness doesnt make a player better. Many people hear this as better or worse, but think about this. We all hear music different just with the different shapes of our ears! So while a piece of equipment may be more acurate, it doesnt mean your ears will like it better tonally. Thats a mind picker!
08-02-11: Cajunpepe
Sounds like Sthomas12321 needs to take some of the money he made from the sale of his Ayre gear and invest in some Q-tips.

We will all strive to be just like you partner. We know you have all the answers, and your ears are vastly superior to ours . Very classy post btw.
Well,
Ill add this. I just sold all my Ayre acoustics equipment(cx-7,k5xe,v-5xe). I now use a Anthem avm-30 and a PS3 transport with absolutely no sound loss. First let me say, I was going to keep my Ayre cx-7 cd player, but the truth is, I found absolutely nothing about it as a transport I liked better then the PS3. I tried and tried to hear a quality that made me choose the PS3, and I have a great ability to even hear tonal differences in the smallest bit. I actually thought the PS3 sounded a touch better. Now, some will say, I dont have the right speakers. Well, I own the lGacy focus 20/20's, a killer speaker, some paradigm signature series speakers, and a pair of Martin Logan Vantages. I compared this with all 3 sets. I did hear different tonal shades, but that was the only real difference. i also let others hear and decide. They actually heard NO difference at all. Litterally with a fast A/B comparison with the push of the button in the Anthems menu, they heard NOTHING. And let me say, anyone who doesnt find the Anthem AVM-30 to be a KIllER 2 channel performer is crazy.

What I am getting at, is I do believe qaulity is important. I think the no loss in sound qaulity mostly due to the Anthem/bryston sst setup I have in the mix. However, as a transport, the PS3 did as good as the 3k Ayre player in every regard. I am not saying the following statement to brag,but I am a musician. I sing,play saxophone by ear,play drums, and have spot on pitch that is extremely rare. I say this becuase, honestly if I cant hear a difference, chances are nobody really would. The only thing I picked up was slightly cleaner/brighter sound with the PS3 in place, and it was such a small amount, my ears could be playing tricks on me.

I think the new equipment comming out now, is so advanced, there is no need for new cost no object stuff. If a OPPO 983 can have the best picture available and everyone admitts to this part at least, there is no reason it cant do the same for sound. Thats just truth. The same high dollar stuff that people claim make video picture better has been proven wrong with the oppo 983, its only time till we see many more manufactures doing the same.

For the record my PS3 does not sound good using analog output into my Anthem, so as a transport is the only manner in which I am speaking.
Blu ray is so good, Ill never buy a dvd again. It would be nice to have a oppo983h to get the best out of standard DVD's. But its not really important after seeing blu ray. Obviously if you have a older hd display(rear project), or a small screen(30" and down) you wont be seeing a big difference in picture between blu and sd dvd like there actually is. The bigger the screen(currently using a 50"), the more you realize Standard Dvd's limits.

Buying a $3k standard dvd player seams abolutely pointless unless you just have the money to make a old format sound to its best abilities. If you are just looking for the best video/sound you can acvhieve in home theater. Buy blu ray movies. You just cant beat no compression.
WHEN OPPO MAKES A BLU RAY PLAYER, ILL BE ALL OVER THAT. WITH THERE FEATURES/PRICE RATIO, CAN YOU IMAGINE!
However a 983h as a transport, cant really be beat, its as good as can be had(read stereophile about the old 971 for there opionion as a transport feeding a good DAC it was as good as the Ayre cx-5e universal player, and that beat out the CX-7e slightly in there review!

Not to mention, the video really cant be beat. You will however, beat the sacd and dvd audio performance with analog outputs as well as the 2 channel out analog. But use the hdmi to a prepro with hdmi, and the sacds and dvd audios will once again be as good as it gets.