Are Klipsch or Usher and Upgrade for Me?

I've been rolling with a 15 year-old HT speaker system consisting of Infinity speakers: CC-3 center, Overture 2 L/R, and RS-3 bookshelves for surrounds. At the moment I'm using an ACI Titan II sub in the HT setup, but it may move to the two-channel system.

I've been considering upgrading. I happen to live near a Crutchfield store (for now) and heard both the Klipsch Reference II series and the new Reference Premier series as well as a PSB setup.

I've also heard great things over the years about Usher Audio's speakers, but it looks like their floorstanders are more than what I'm willing to pay for my HT right now, and the bookshelves might not be up to performing L/R duty in a HT. The Be-616 DMD looks intriguing, though.

I am a tad concerned that the Klipsch will not be a huge upgrade over my Infinity system. The Klipsch setup I'm looking at would be the RC-64 II, RF-7, and whatever the matching bookshelves are.

Any thoughts on whether the Klipsch will be a substantial upgrade over what I have now, and how it would compare to an Usher setup at the same price point? What alternatives should I consider for crystal clear dialog, good off-axis response, neutral and accurate tonality, and capable of easily handling the dynamic range necessary for HT duty?

It has been quite a while since I last posted; I hope you are all doing well and enjoying the hobby!

Best,
HC
aggielaw
"One of the reasons I'm looking to upgrade is I need speakers that sound good in a variety of rooms because I move every couple years. For some reason I assumed the horn would have superior horizontal dispersion. If it's inferior to a dome that would give me less flexibility rather than more."

Its not really better or worse, as much as it is different. Horns just have a sound that not everyone likes. Its not room dependent either. Its no different than any other design. If you like them you can usually make them work, and if you don't no amount of tweaking will make it right.

If you're not sure about horns and you can't afford to take a loss, its worth mentioning that very few audiophiles actually use them. The largest subgroup, by far, are people that are into low output tube amps. They use horns because they're so efficient. Also, those amps are usually rolled off quite a bit in the highs, making horns much more listenable.

That said, you could be part of the group that loves horn speakers. Nothing wrong with that. My only caution would be to make sure before you buy a pair so you don't loose money on a mistake.
I see it this way, if Aggielaw's main use for these speakers is HT, then IMO horns are the way to go. There must be a reason that most commercial movie theaters use horn loaded speakers. As a matter of fact Klipsch and JBL pretty much own the commercial theater business with all new construction Regal theaters(since around 1998) using Klipsch Pro speakers exclusively. As far as I know, a good portion of AMC theaters use Klipsch Pro.

I am by no means suggesting horn loaded speakers are the best for HT applications, but it sure appears that they(JBL, Klipsch) are doing something right for big theater companies to use them so often.

Bill
I wasn't trying to talk him out of anything, I was just being realistic. Not everyone likes horns. Also, I don't see an equal comparison with a movie theater. Its just a different application. A movie theater needs to fill a huge space at very high volumes. Its really not feasible to use something other than a multi channel PA system. If conventional speakers were used, you would need a lot more of them. But the real problem would be driving them. Amps for less efficient speakers would cost a lot more. A movie theater is forced to use the equipment that it does. Someone putting together a home theater has more options.
Zd542,

All true in what you said. I am a bit of a horn head so a little bias here going on.

I am currently(8:41pm ET) watching(listening) to the first Transformers(plain vanilla DVD) movie as I type on my PC which is off axis and 25 feet from the front soundstage(Klipsch RF-63's/RC-64), and the dynamics are rediculous in my 6000ft3 room.

Just a little something else to add.

Bill
Willand, I would not be guided by the taste of American Theater Chain management.
Few months back I went to see an opera in the "Live from the Met" series at an AMC venue.
The Klipschs were truly wretched, sound was so bad I had to leave in 15 minutes.