Tannoy?

Tannoy speakers are quite popular in Japan and Taiwan. I noticed that people have high regard for old Tannoy speakers using Red, Gold, or the HPD drivers. But in the States, I could not find a single Hi-Fi store to audition Tannoy speakers in my state. It seems B&W speakers are much more popular in the States.

Comments?

P.S. I owned a pair of Tannoy Devon when I was in high school. :)
tcpip
It is a shame that Tannoy does not get the press or acclaim they should. I have owned a pair of Westminsters and loved them. They ended up being too big for the room they were in but I also have a pair of Definition D700's for going on a dozen years now and really have no intention of selling them, I still love their sound.

I once visited a dealer who is close to me, about 60 miles away, and he had a pair of Canterburys set up, which is a step down from their top of the line, and the sounded very hi-fi-ish. I know it was the set-up but if that was the impression a dealer was giving to prospective customers, then its no wonder they don't get the accolades the brand deserves.

Mike

I had the same problem.  I had been looking into them for years on the web, and having read all I could find on the prestige line became very fascinated with them, for a lot of reasons.  I went to a show just to see if the Tannoy room had them, even on display, which they did not.  I ended up -investing- in a used pair of Turnberry's so I could hear them finally, and in my system.  They were all that I was looking for mostly.  Read my post here somewhere else "Tannoy vs ATC", for more info... I think they are fine loudspeakers.
States, I could not find a single Hi-Fi store to audition Tannoy speakers in my state. It seems B&W speakers are much more popular in the States.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back in the days, I am sure I would have liked the tannoys, 
B&W's I always hated, although as you say, popularized, USA loves adores commcerialISM/ConsumerISM.  WE  worship big **trusted* names.
But today, 2021, those brands are about extinct and can I say, Good riddance. To all *House Sound* speakers, The Vandersteens, Thiels Walsh's ,etc **Signature sound*
There are new kids on the block and they mean business.