Bob Dylan MoFi

Heard from a very reliable source that Mobile fidelity Sound labs will be releasing a set of Dylan Lps in Mono in the coming months. Time to open the wallet once again. 
fromunda
Pee ESS, What a phenomenally prolific, and often profound artist you are. 
PS, AARP will start hounding you to join before your 50th birthday.  So wherever you happen to be, it won't be long...the good thing is, you don't have to join.
No disrespect intended but...I really got a belly laugh, reading the banter between ps & geoffkait.

The Original Mono Recordings box set IMO, would be hard to beat for sound quality.

Bob's 60's recordings are much better sounding than almost all of his subsequent ones (one notable exception being Planet Waves, recorded in late '73 with The Band at Village Recorders in Los Angeles, released in early '74. It has just been released on LP and SACD by Mobile Fidelity, and sounds like the microphones are plugged straight into the recorder, played and sung live, with no overdubs and very little electronic enhancement), made during the time the art and engineering of recording was heading in the wrong direction---solid state boards, mics with "tailored" responses (the Shure SM57 and 58, for recordings? They were designed for live vocals, with a built-in presence peak to aid intelligibility on stage), many, many "effects" boxes (limiters, compressors, expanders, electronic reverb and echo, phase shifters, equalizers, etc.) inserted in the recording chain, and finally "new school" engineers taking the place of the dying and retiring WWII radio engineers who had Hi-Fi standards in recording and reproduction. The new school "engineers" fidelity standards are relative, not absolute.

The worst sounding Dylan albums are those produced (and engineered) by the worst-of-the-worst, Daniel Lanois---Oh Mercy and Time Out of Mind. TOoM sounds like the music is coming through the wall from the next room---one of the worst sounding albums I have ever heard. And it garnered Dylan his only Grammy! After Lanois, Bob started producing himself, as "Jack Frost". Much, much better.

Here’s a bunch of Dylan CDs and vinyl taken from the Unofficial Dynamic Range Database. See if you can correlate a good sounding recording of Dylan’s with Dynamic Range numbers. The number 14 is the beginning of the GOOD dynamic range. Numbers lbetween 8 and 13 are TRANSITIONAL and Less than 8 represents BAD dynamic range. The 3 numbers represent AVG, LOWEST and HIGHEST dynamic range for the recording. 

Bob Dylan Slow Train Coming [Vinyl] i 1979 15 14 17 lossless Vinyl

Bob Dylan Slow Train Coming i 1979 15 14 17 lossless CD

Bob Dylan Slow Train Coming [HDT 192-24] 2015 12 10 14 lossless Download

Bob Dylan Blonde On Blonde i 1989 13 12 15 lossless CD

Bob Dylan Blonde On Blonde [Sony SACD 5.1] i 2003 13 12 14 lossless CD

Bob Dylan Blonde On Blonde [MFSL SACD] i 2013 11 10 14 lossless Unknown

Bob Dylan Saved i 1990 13 13 15 lossy CD

Bob Dylan World Gone Wrong i 1993 13 11 15 lossy CD

Bob Dylan World Gone Wrong i 2013 13 12 15 lossless CD

Bob Dylan Love and Theft i 2003 08 07 10 lossless Unknown

Bob Dylan Love and Theft 2001 08 07 10 lossless. Unknown

Bob Dylan Infidels [vinyl] i 1983 16 14 17 lossless Unknown

Bob Dylan Infidels [Remastered] 2003 13 11 15 lossless CD

Bob Dylan Modern Times [vinyl] 2006 10 08 11 lossless Unknown

Bob Dylan Modern Times i 2006 07 06 09 lossless Unknown

Bob Dylan Blood On The Tracks. 1991 12 11 15 lossless Unknown

Bob Dylan Tempest i 2012 09 05 12 lossless Unknown

Bob Dylan The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan (The Original Mono Recordings) i 2010 12 11 14 lossy CD

Bob Dylan Shot of Love i 1989 13 12 15 lossy CD

geoff kait
machina dynamica