Great multichannel amps do not cut it in stereo

This is more of a comment than a question.

I have been dabbling in hifi for almost two decades, and in the past 8 years or so moved into what I call 'quality' audio - as far as my budget could muster. I listen to multichannel all the time for TV and movies, but love my 2 channel set up, supported by my dedicated 2 channel amp to run stereo duties.

Since 2009 I had been lusting after the Arcam AVR600 as a no-compromise one box solution for both multichannel and stereo. With the AVR600 model coming to the end of its life I managed to land a new one for a very reasonable price compared to its original rrp. Heavy? Yes. Impressive? Yes.
However, as a two channel amplifier it did not come close to my $1500 Burson Audio integrated stereo amp in terms of detail, soundstage, PRAT etc - in my opinion.
As many have said before, you can not expect one car to be both a utility and a sports car; and you can not expect a jack-of-all-trades also be a master in one area. And this became very evident to me in my comparison.

The Arcam AVR600 is definitely a nice piece of kit, albeit it has its technical gremlins. But it simply can not keep up with a high quality dedicated stereo system, if that is what floats your boat. I can not imagine multichannel separates being much better, as these had been extensively compared to the AVR600, with most indicating a close to on-par performance.

So really, my message is that for high quality multichannel and great stereo reproduction, look for a two box solution including a dedicated stereo amplifier. Spend less on the former, and more on the latter!
128x128marcinziemski
I read that the marantz 8802 and 7792 Mkii Do a  fantastic job as Both for theater and for stereo due to their good preamps . I guess the question is what amp to use ? B&k lexicon, parasound, ???
Try a Krell Chorus 5200 using only two channels and listen to determine if it cuts it. I've personally been amazed coming on the heels of some very fine high end amps. 

Nah, best bang for the buck is to get active monitors. You get bi/tri amp per speaker for pennies on the dollar, some even give you digital crossover.
I find myself (possibly) looking for a good new (to me) multi-channel amp for my HT.  

My Arcam P1000 lost the auto muting circuit so it's heading to the repair shop to get looked at.  If the repair costs are substantial, I'll be in the market for a new 7-channel amp.  Space and funding considerations make it difficult to run monoblocks (7-Thor Veritas would fit space-wise, but not budget-wise!) or multiple amps of any variety.  The Arcam P1000 (135wpc) fit the bill nicely, though it did run out of air at higher volumes powering my ATC SCM 19's in a somewhat large room.

Maybe the McIntosh 8207 in the for sale section here may have to slide into the Arcam's old spot.  However, it would be stretching my budget, so I'll be looking closely at the for sale section for a while.

In the meantime, I'll be experimenting with 2-channel HT by putting my old 1980's vintage SAE 50wpc amp back into service.  Should be a fun experiment.  

FWIW, HT processing is done by the Marantz 8801 that has served me well since I purchased it new shortly after it (and Kal's review) came out. 
Some multi channel separates (of non mono design) benefit with having a larger PS vs there two channel sibling in the same line. While doing side by side comparing it was pretty obvious the 3ch had the edge with better bass response and a higher ceiling than its 2ch sibling.