Shiit yggdrasil

I purchased this dac a few months back and I am absolutely blown away by how much I enjoy listening to it. I have owned a Bi-dat, Ayre QB DSD, Resolution Audio, PS Audio and many others as well as in home demo of very expensive Chord, Aesthetics and DCS gear. Nothing has sounded this good in my room in my system( Devore Fidelity, Line Magnetic - other products I absolutely love). Please forgive my lack of detailed description and hyperbole as I know many of us hear and experience reproduced sound differently so you might hate it. This is just a recommendation to try it. I am so glad I did. and wanted to share my experience.

If your friend A/Bed with the Gustard with his Yggy had some mods done to the Yggy....then he should redo the test after doing some simple mods to the Gustard.  With 3 simple mods (anyone can do...no soldering) the Gustard jumps another level.  Just two days ago a friend said his not burned in stock Gustard beat his stock Yggy and now he wants to sell the Yggy.  He has yet to do any mods to the Gustard.

Huge Losses?....the Gustard costs practically nothing.  My friend does not want to post about how good the Gustard is for fear that the resale value of the Yggy will go down before he sells it.

George, I wish you were right....it would all be so simple.  However, everything you do to a DAC effects the sound.  What is real is what something sounds like.  3 people (2 posted on line) have said the Gustard beats the R2R Yggy playing 16/44.  I trust what people hear, not some obsessed person on a forum.

It’s not from an obsessed person/s on forums, just read and enlighten yourself from those many digital tech designers that are in the know about PCM conversion and search their posts and papers and advanced knowledge explanations on what’s best for PCM conversion. And you’ll understand maybe what goes on. Search "Delta Sigma vs Multibit" doing PCM.

Multibit is "bit perfect", Delta Sigma is not. And of course there are other factors (I/V stage just being one) around the conversion technique used that need to be addressed. But get it right, in both and Multibit is clearly ahead of Delta Sigma for doing PCM (Redbook) conversion.

Even Martin Mallison of ESS Sabre said in a video (if you care to search and watch it). That finally their lastest ESS Sabre dac is "close" to the performance of Mulitbit doing PCM conversion.

Cheers George

George, You say the same thing over and over on many threads...that is the definition of "obsessed".....but really besides the point.

What you are doing is generalizing. You have not heard the Schiit or the Gustard, so how can you know anything about how they sound? You cannot. I would say that generally, you are mostly correct. But not always. There are too many factors to say which DAC will sound best at any price point no matter what the technology is inside. You, obviously, think otherwise. It is too bad that you base your knowledge on guess work rather than true knowledge (actual listening tests).

Here are some more things to consider. Many, in the last couple of years have discovered the joys of upsampling all PCM to double and Quad speed DSD (using HQ player, the best sounding of all the upsampling software at this time.....to be bettered soon, no doubt). "They say" that this upsampled PCM to DSD sounds better or as good as playing the PCM through a "Great R2R DAC". The Yggy, though very good is no match for an MSB Analog...let alone Select, Rockna, TotalDAC, Trinity, etc.

Mike Levine....look him up....bought the Trinity (R2R DAC that lists for $45,000) and finally heard the glory of PCM. However, he soon sold it as Quad times DSD oversampling using the inferior JRriver software came really close using his Lampizator DAC to decode the DSD. I believe he is about to try HQ player and I bet he will be amazed.

Quadman.....look him up.... is double upsampling PCM to DSD using HQplayer into a modded Gustard and he says his PCM sounds as good as his turntable setup. He is looking for ways to get quad and eight times DSD into the Gustard.

You cannot do any of the above with an Yggy. It only plays PCM.

By the way, the three people who have A/Bed the Yggy and the Gustard, that I know of, are all listening to straight PCM and feel the Gustard is better.  None has done the DSD upsampling game yet.

ricevs,
You make some interesting and logical points. Currently on the  6 Moons Web site is a review of the French TOTALDAC d1-6  which is a R2R ladder design. According to Srajan Ebean (reviewer ) the Sabre based Fore Daisy DAC  held its own in direct comparison. As you rightly acknowledge, many factors come into play to determine the final sound quality. 
 Charles,