Best Way to Spend ~ $2000 for System Improvement

Hi fellow music lovers! I have about $2000 right now to improve my system. It can be for any component, but I'm thinking amplification first, power, pre, or integrated. SS or tube.

To begin, right now I have a Mccormack 0.5 Deluxe power amp with "A" revisions, an Eva 2 passive preamp, Metrum Octave v1 DAC, Dell laptop for music files. Sometimes I use a Teac H750 as a transport and GMA Pico Executive speakers. The room is small, about 14x18x10ft. I listen to about 50/50 rock and classical, mostly full orchestral. As far as just sound goes, I would like the bass to be "fast". No delay or overhang, not exaggerated, but detailed. Detail is important at any frequency, the more the better, but not at the expense of musicality. I realize at this price point, compromise is necessary, and treble would be the best place for that. No harshness allowed, but I'm in my later 50s now and don't hear treble like I once did.

I hope I've given enough info to get some good suggestions. I like the sound now, but think it could be better, maybe a slightly lower noise floor and a little more pace and rhythm while retaining it's sweetness and smoothness. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. BTW, if any existing question answers any part of this question, feel free to link it.
xrayz
@danvignau  I remember so many of the components listed! Out of the amps, which do you think are the "fastest"?
Almarg, I meant to respond before- I do use coaxial to connect with both my pc and cd transport. My octave v1 has no usb input. In your opinion, even if the impedance matching is not a problem, would a better usb/spdif converter go a long way toward solving the perceived lack of dynamics? I've only ever used this one, and I know a lot of people consider them to be one of the most important components, paying a huge amount of money for their own.        
I can't really say, Xrayz, as I have no particular familiarity with the sonics of the V-Link.  I can only say that I would definitely consider replacing it if its output impedance is in fact 50 ohms.

Good luck as you proceed.  Regards,
-- Al

FWIW - I'm running a MF V-Link 192 USB/SPDIF converter in-between a Macbook Air and Schiit Gungnir.  I use a split USB cable between MBA and V-Link and a Stereovox digital coax from V-Link into DAC.  I'm not aware of any sonic problems.  As per Al's remarks, maybe the V-Links' reported 50 ohm output impedance is erroneous or it just doesn't matter much in my particular system.    Comparing audio from my CDP into the pre-amp vs  Gungnir into the pre-amp, I don't hear dramatic differences though I do note improved sonics for music played from ripped CDs on hard drive.  I also note the V-Link has been favorably reviewed and performed reasonably well in at least one published shoot out.  Nothing to suggest a design flaw, I don't think.  On the other hand, I'm not trying to say it performs on par with, say, an Audiophileo or Offramp converter.  My 2 cents.   
@ghosthouse Thanks for the message, I was going to write a similar one about any possible design flaw. I think you or I or any one of thousands of other satisfied V Link customers would have noticed it long ago                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
I did a bit of Googling and found this thread in which the 50 ohm spec was discussed.  See post no. 30, by "Lexx."  Sounds like the impedance is correct, but the person who wrote the spec won't ever be a candidate for the Nobel Prize.  :-)

Regards,
-- Al