$800 to spend on speakers, $1500 on whole system

I am new to community and am seeking advice on my first good sound system. I am looking to spend $500-800 on a used set of two speakers for my living room, which is not very large. I cannot decide between bookshelf speakers or a floor speaker. I will be listening mostly to digital music, and I could use recommendations on a DAC and receiver. I would like the receiver to be bluetooth if high quality receivers come with this feature, but that's not a deal breaker for me.

My Ideal system would have two speakers at $500-800 and with receiver, DAC, cables, and anything else I would need totaling around $1200, but $1500 maximum. I figured I would start with speakers and go from there.

I like to listen to most music, except rap. Heavy metal, funk, jazz. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks

pawadalla
Nice!  I had some 2ce's and I've also owned peachtree gear.  You put together a nice little system on the cheap (if $1500 is cheap)!  Congrats, I think you'll be pleased
so here's my biased opinion that will fly in the face of all these posts. go to audio nirvana site and order the biggest full range drivers you can afford and build some open baffles using their free plans, wont be more than $150 for the wood and stain/paint. with this set up you wont need more than 8 -10 watts max. this means you can get a small well made amp for a lot less money. even a toping t chip amp will do the trick for less than 70$. with the savings you can invest in a quality dac/cdp. i went this route and it is amazing sound for the buck. i have been using a cheap chinese tube amp at 10wpc and it is killer. as good as my old paradigms with nad gear and much less costly. the plus is that you cn customize your speaker color to your choosing and late can even have some cabinets built if you want that option. full range drivers with a small tube amp have a great sound
First off, buy used.  Look for mint condition gear, this is where you can really maximize your money.  
The peachtree nova SE's are excellent bang for your buck.  They sound great, look great, and offer the convenience of built in DAC (a good one), and numerous inputs, including optional bluetooth.  A used 125SE, since they've been discontinued, may be available for around a grand, the 65's probably closer to $500.  
In terms of speakers, a nice compliment would be Totem Rainmakers.  Used pair probably around $600.  So, the 65 and Rainmakers should bring you in on budget, and would certainly be a nice system to show off.  Both come in cherry finish, and have a low profile aesthetic.  I love good gear, but i don't necessarily want to clutter my living room with it.  This is a very good, user friendly, low profile system that is very sharp.  I have a 125se i am looking to part with, i simply dont use it anymore, though i will not give it away because they're too nice.  it is mint.  Email me if you're interested.