After Several Years, Time to Upgrade: Your Suggestions

My Audio System for the last few Years:

-  Peachtree iDecco 1 (as digital dac/preamp only)
-  Paradigm Reference Active/40 Speakers
-  Harmonic Technology Truth Link Interconnect
-  Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer with Velodyne Sub-crossover
-  Lenovo T410 Laptop Server (Win7 Pro, Samsung SSD, 8gb RAM, JRiver 21, Halide USB/SPDIF Bridge)
- Music: jazz, classic r&r, folk

I'd like to upgrade and am thinking I'll start with the DAC/Pre and simplify subwoofer set-up. Have about $3k to spend.  I have not kept up with the latest and greatest in audio and really appreciate the very knowledgeable folks on this forum. Would love to get your input and recommendations. Thanks very much for your time.

Matt

pirius
What am I trying to accomplish?

Most important, on jazz recordings:  (1) truer tonality on piano, reed, brass, vocal; (2) better definition/pace on subtler dynamic shadings -- especially cymbals and snare; increased sense of instrumental space/ambience.
If you wish to keep your speakers, I think you are on the right path with your idea to upgrade the pre and DAC. Good luck with whatever you choose!

TEAC UD-501, no need for pre, this one got NOS mode too. For cables, go Mogami ( make sure you use the right ones for the right application)

Here is a link for a first reflection point calculator:

http://www.acoustic.ua/forms/calculator4.en.html

Although they use cm’s for measurement but you can put inches in the boxes and get the same results. Using this greatly improved the sound quality in my room. I had my reflection points all wrong using a mirror and far too much on the front and back walls. Correcting with the calculator and tuning the room took my system up several notches to the WOW point...saved big $!

Enjoy

Pirius,

Last year was a major equipment upgrade year for me, learning all sorts of new stuff about audio and sound quality.  It all sounded great, when I "dialed in" the new speakers, then all bets were off, adding new sub woofers, as the acoustics of my (new) room were just an awful match for the subs.

After trying all sorts of "fixes" I discovered the joys that room treatments could offer, eventually installing ten bass traps purchased one or two at a time from ATS Acoustics.

The best tools for helping me with the room treatments was downloading "REW" (Room EQ Wizard) and purchasing a miniDSP UMIK-1 USB-connected calibration microphone.  Took the guesswork out of where to place the bass traps, best crossover points/volume/EQ settings for the subs.

I now had a wide smile on my face!