Which Preamp Audio Research LS3B or Sonic Frontiers SFL-1

Hello-- I am looking replace (upgrade) my Nakamichi CA 5 with either preamp in above title line.
Does anybody have either (or both) of this classics? Which sounds better? My current system is as follows:

Amplifier is a Sunfire 300 x 2
 CD Transport is a McCormack SST-1
 Universal CD Player is a Lexicon RT-10
 Jitter reduction is a Genesis Digital Lens
 D/A Converter is a Classe Audio DAC-1
 Finally, my speakers are a pair of JBL XPL 140A's

I know if I go with the ARC LS3b I can go Balanced with Sunfire;  but, can that 1 tube in SF SFL-1 make the system sing. 

Any assistance before I decide to take the plunge would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Edward
edenton925
I once owned the SF SFL-1 and it was a nice piece for the money. Funny you post this because when I had the SFL-1 I dragged it over to my dads system to compare it to his ARC LS3. Guess what? He ended up selling the LS3 and bought a SF Line 1. Now the Line 1 is a better pre of the three and has remote, and six tubes in all. 

The LS3 was a great SS preamp in its day -Stereophile A rated I recall. The issue was it was very neutral and on SS amps it could sound a little lean and bright. SS amps at the time weren't anywhere where they are today. On a tube amp is where this pre belongs and I bet it would be nice.

The hybrid SFL-1 was a really nice pre but the single tube does make a difference and with a modern tube it was ok but throw in a NOS tube and it was another story. I really enjoyed mine.
If you're looking for a fat tube sounds it's not that. I bet with your Sunfire amp the SFL-1 will be a more pleasing sound.

A ModWright SWL 9.0 SE will hands down smoke the LS3 and SFL-1 and it has remote. SF Line 1 is another great preamp and it say is more in the league of the SWL 9.0. 

Back on topic; if you want to listen for hours buy the SFL-1 and enjoy the music. If you want to analyze the best 20 seconds of a song to compare the difference between this interconnect and that and not enjoy the full song, buy the LS3. The LS3 is a nice pre but I'm not sure I'd throw it on a big SS amp.

Good luck

adg101--

Thanks for giving such detailed  and sound advice. I really appreciate it. 

All the best,

Edward
Is there any particular reason you are looking at these two preamps? IMO there are a lot of preamps out there that might do you better for the same money.