Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
****let's talk about Jazz bassist...Was there anyone of significance prior to Scott LaFaro?****

You bet there was.  Duke Ellington's bassist Jimmy Blamton was very influential .  How about Ray Brown, Paul Chambers, Milt Hinton, Charles Mingus, Wilbur Ware?  And of course the already mentioned Pettiford.  LaFaro was a pivotal figure in the bass world but hardly the first important bass player. 

Re jazz musicians and money: don't know much about Grant Green the person, so I don't know about his particular situation. I do know that the lifestyle of jazz musicians does not promote good money-management habits.  Being in the road all the time is very difficult and can lead to bad decision making that can affect your pocket book.  Think about it: who is more likely to save his money and possibly even invest some of it?  The guy who is on the road all the time and who is dealing with the endless temptations of life on the road or late-night gigs; or, the guy with the stable home life and family?  

Re Mingus/Take The A Train:

Agree that Mingus had a very tight and well rehearsed band.  But for the sake of perspective: I would bet anything that for that performance of A Train they probably did nothing more than talk about the order of the solos.  No rehearsal. Not a criticism, but a testament to the experience and talent of the players involved.  There's no arrangement to speak of and rehearse; just play the melody after the traditional piano intro, everyone takes a solo and there may be backgrounds made up on the spot.  For guys like that, playing A Train is like a great chef making scrambled eggs; at a very very high level.  Again, not a criticism at all, but simply to point out that it's pretty standard fare; a popular tune that everyone knows and can play in their sleep.  Still, great music and great playing.  Btw, that solo by Dolphy is deliciously strange.

Rok, Ghosthouse is exactly right; Anderson is conducting.  Specifically, he is counting down the last couple of measures in the last chorus of the tenor solo so that the band can all come back in at the right time.  While it would normally be Wynton's job to do that, Anderson is in the front of the band where he can be seen by all. 

Glad to see so many great posts. 

Rok, sometime you have a hard time understanding things; before Leon Thomas was anything, he was a childhood friend, and now he's dead. Although he's been dead since 99, I haven't dealt with that fact. I might start a record, and then stop it. When he was alive, I enjoyed his records, but now it's a mixed bag.

This is no different than if you were hearing a childhood friends voice that was no longer with us. I should have dealt with his death when he died, but I didn't; and now whether I want to deal with it or not, I have no choice. It's no fun dealing publicly with something I should have dealt with a long time ago, but such is life.

Enjoy the music.
Rok, while checking out Jimmy Blanton records I ran across this and knew you were a fan. Can’t figure out why? ;0 )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLVbIT-y7ts
Hey Frogman - Thanks for your insights into preparations for that Mingus sextet performance.  

"...that solo by Dolphy is deliciously strange."  :-)  Well said.  I'm no Dolphy-ologist but the little I know, that seems to be the story on him.  Zappa certainly appreciated him.  (Yet another who died too soon).

http://www.allmusic.com/song/eric-dolphy-memorial-barbecue-mt0010976240

***** Rok, while checking out Jimmy Blanton records I ran across this and knew you were a fan. Can’t figure out why? ;0 )*****

I just love American Opera Divas.   Started with the tough, street wise, NYC babe,  Beverly Sills.  Battle is a treat to hear and see! She conquered the Opera World, but never forgot her church roots.

I will assume this was made prior to her musical relationship with Wynton.  Otherwise, I am sure he would have been the trumpet player.

I have a 3 CD set by Ellington called "The Blanton-Webster Band". Also one Cd titled "This one's for Blanton" with Ellington and Ray Brown.  This should tell you what Ellington thought of him.

Thanks for the clip of Miss Battle.  I do miss her.

Cheers