Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10, I do have "Jewels of Thought", but Kharma is one recording that I had on cassette, and was forced to get rid of due to lack of storage space.

It still bothers me, that I had to get rid of thousands of great titles on cassette. Should have got rid of a child instead  :), in hindsight, but I do like to hunt down music in dark, dusty rooms, so maybe one day I will get them all back!

I am not the biggest fan of Leon, but thanks for bringing him up for discussion and listening.

Rok, I remember reading that" Bloodcount" was actually another song title written before Strayhorn was sick, before the history we were told , of it being composed by Strayhorn on his deathbed, but I like the history we were told.

Have to leave for work, so I don't have time to clean up that last paragraph.

Thanks Frogman! I hate half truths and just did it myself. I guess I will file this under, if you don't have time to post correctly, don't post
Yusef Lateef  -- Back Home

Awesome!!   Loved it!!   1968??   Yes indeed!!   I closed my eyes, cranked it up,  and found myself jamming at the Mexicana Club in Frankfurt, Germany.   Those were the days.  Santana anyone?

Thanks for posting.

Cheers
The Frogman:

Thanks for the info.  We won't even get into:
"THE KINGDOM of SWING & THE REPUBLIC of OOP BOP SH'BAM"

Cheers