Vandersteen 2w or 2wq's

I have a nice pair of Vandersteen 3a sigs and was thinking about adding subwoofers.
Audiogon has listings for a pair of 2w's. My question is:
What differences are there between the 2w and 2wq's(besides the variable q) sound wise?
Should I be concerned about buying an old subwoofer-does anything wear out and need replacing?
Thanks Bob
gdnrbob
Agree w Tomic AQ works great my fav.

With Vandersteens you want to stay with the exact same
 ga cable high and low.

A Double Bi Wire run of Rocket 88 to the 3A Sigs will pay off with its neutrality and definition especially when you high pass and add the 2W subs.  

(((Is there anything else I need to do?)))
How bout measure and share with us your exact measurements of Room example 13x 24 x 8
How far apart your speakers are tweeter to tweeter.
Distance from Front wall behind speakers to center of 3A Sig
Distance from side wall to center of 3A Sig
Distance front of speaker to your left ear / right ear.
Distance sitting in chair ((Your ears to ground)) example 37 inches
Also pick up a bubble level and a laser pointer
for precision tilt back, a sharpie pen, and 2 Post it notes.
 Best,
 JohnnyR

JohnnyR,  these are in my LR/DR. I can only place them in a couple of positions due to furniture. As they are now positioned, the 3a sigs sound pretty good. I know I could do better, but, as I said there are only a couple of good positions available. I am hoping the subs will even out the room.
I have angled them as best I can using the Vandersteen instructions. 

Even tho your placement option are limited you can still download vandertones and buy the analog meter shack spl meter and tweak sub location to tame humps and suckout....
You will be suprised how unflat your room is..every room...
This will of course eventually make you want a pair of quattros or better..but hey..
Btw pair of quattros on the gon less than 5k with 11 band eq below 120..
Call me a fan boy..
Have fun 3a sig most under rated giant killer out there..imo..