Omega, Harbeth, JM Reynaud, ad Skylan

On a previous post I asked for thoughts regarding Harbeth and JM Reynaud speakers.  My subsequent speaker upgrade journey led me to discover Omega speakers, and specifically the Super Alnico Monitor.  I took the plunge, taking advantage of Omega's 30-day home trial.  So here is my update.

These speakers are now a permanent addition to my system and my musical enjoyment.  I am so thoroughly satisfied. While break-in took a good 100 hrs, the sound of these Omega Super Alnico Monitors is beyond reproach. Every day my wife and I are amazed at what we hear when we put on an old cd that we haven't listened to in a while. I have had several audiophile friends come over for auditions (folks with NHT XRS system, the new big JansZens, Vandy 2s and 3s) and to a person they cannot believe the level of detail, sound staging, spaciousness, and just overall great sound these speakers produce. And when I point out they go for $2K, their jaws really drop. I made one additional tweak to the system and got dedicated Skylan stands. The addition of the stands, and a bit less toe-in (as some Omega users have posted) seemed to really put everything in place.   The combination of these speakers and stands goes for less than $2,500, and I encourage anyone looking for new speakers in this price range to seriously consider the Omega's.

Are these the best thing since sliced bread? No, they do not do everything, nor would I expect them to, but I also have that same feeling for all other modestly priced speakers ($5K or less, can't believe I consider $5K as being modest).  But to my ears, these speakers are 95%+ of the way there. Is this a speaker I can and will live with happily ever after?  YES.  While I will still read all the high end mags, all the various audio websites, go to AXPONA, and regularly visit my local shops, I am done speaker shopping. Now I am just enjoying the music, which is really my ultimate goal.

Finally, I am still intrigued by all the Omega owners who rave about the combination of Omega speakers and SET amps. While my tube/SS hybrid integrated sounds great with these speakers, I am really curious about what improvement, if any, a low watt SET might provide.  Maybe that will be my next audio journey.

Finally, I would like to give a shout out to Loius Chochos of Omega  and Noel Noland of Skylan.  Louis has been a real pleasure to interact with, his customer service is nothing short but outstanding, and the quality of his product is absolutely first rate.  In a similar light, I have the same high regard for Noland ad the Skylan stands.  Dealing with both gentlemen was an unexpected pleasure in this day and age.  Thank you both.  And thank you for your fantastic products (Louis, your speakers do live up to the accolades presented by others on the Omega User's Circle website).

Final score:  Omega Super Alnico Monitors + Sylan Stands = about $2,500.  The Harbeth 30.1 monitors I was going to get would have been $5,600 (new, around $4K used), plus about $400 for stands.  Total savings for me = about $3,500!!!!  Even if I get a new SET integrated amp, I am still looking at $2,000 or more left over from my budget for new music!  

ihor
Seikosha,

You said you replaced the Harbeths with the Omegas. I am wondering which model Harbeth you had?

Schubert,

Ihor said he compared the Omegas to the Harbeths and the Harbeths won. You said that you thought the Harbeths were a lot better than the Omegas. I find it so Interesting how's people's opinions vary so much. I was thinking about picking up a used 30.1. But after hearing about the Omega being about half the price of a used Harbeth I am thinking about trying them. I looked at the website and they do offer a 30 day money back guarantee. I guess I have nothing to lose by trying them. (If I didn't like them I would be out a few bucks in shipping)

Correction, I meant to say Ihor compared the Omega with the Harbeth and the Omega won.

taters, I had the P3ESR's.  I kept them for a year after I bought the Omegas.  I kept thinking the Omegas were a temporary infatuation and I'd move on, but they weren't.  That said, they aren't for everyone and the Harbeth and Omega sounds are quite different.
Can these play music with a bit more slam. Let's say rock or metal? Or are Omega's best suited for vocals, jazz?