What's up with the ridiculous offers?!?

Is it just me or are the high volume of low-ball offers surprising anyone else?

Example: I list an item at 60% off what a current, desirable  component sold for new, and I get an offer for half (or less) of what I am asking! I've have been buying and selling high end audio & video gear for over 40 years and I know the value of gear, but I have never experienced such an destructive trend. I expect it from Craigslst or at a garage sale, but not from Audiogon.

I understand an occasional low offer, and it's usually accompanied with an explanation or apology for the balz it takes to make such an offer, but I am getting absolutely offensive offers for more than 75% of what I list.  

Are there any other sellers that would like to commiserate with me? Am I missing something? Is it just me?

- REV
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xva6007
In part, this trend may be a reaction to the glut of way over-priced new gear on the market, designed to attract those with no taste, no experience, and no knowledge who only think they know that the more something costs, the more they want to have it.

When someone asks me for my "lowest price", I always decline to answer.  Instead, I ask that person, "Why should I bid against myself?  If you are interested, please make an offer, and I will respond to your offer."  That either ends the conversation (fine with me) or leads to negotiation and a reasonable sale price.
I guess what I'm learning about these "low ballers" is that, when they want to make their offer outside of the formal "offer" on Audiogon, say they want to pay cash and local pickup, that's a real "red flag".  At least if you require them to make a formal offer on the site, if they don't consummate the deal, you can ding them on their feedback.

I posted earlier about that guy who changed his "offer", reducing the amount we agreed on by phone by $600, when he was in my driveway.  Funny thing was, after he made that "offer" and I said "no, I don't deal with people like you", he asked if he could at least see the unit.  Funny guy!
I've been an audiophile since the 70's....have been through a lot of used equipment as I love experiencing different preamps, amps, cartridges, tuners, speaker/power/tonearm/headshell/digital coax/interconnect wires/machines to clean records/CDs/tapes/gizmos/whizbangs and "magic" dots/markers/sprays/magnetizers/demagnetizers etc, etc, etc. I have bought and sold and traded for those via Audiomart, the New York Times ads ('70's), Stereophile, Craigslist, Audiogon, US Audiomart....love communicating with other audio nuts who enjoy trying and passing on equipment to others.  I've been offered significantly less than what I felt was fair without getting my feathers ruffled...politely declining their offer, sometimes only to have the same person later place a fairer offer.  I've even sold at significantly lower-than-hoped-price on inexpensive items to "beginner audiophiles", usually college students who have just discovered our hobby of getting good components together synergistically to have sweet music.  Everybody loves a bargain - can't blame people for trying.

I tried to make a counter offer higher than my listing price. You cannot do it. 
In my opinion and to offer an explanation not yet posted in this thread, most NEW hi-end audio equipment is WAY overpriced to begin with. Personally I like to buy only new items (in everything not just audio equipment). People have no choice but to price a used item commensurate with the cost of the same item when new, less wear and tear. Also, and again in my opinion, audio equipment is similar to the jewelry market. A typically "very good quality" 1 carrot diamond cost approximately $5000. If you buy it for 5K in the diamond district it comes with a GSA certification and appraisal for $9000. At the time you go try and sell it you would be lucky to get $3000. You have to loose it and make a claim through insurance and then you can get closer to your 5K. Maybe we should have an official audio appraisal entity, ensure the items, have them "vanish" and make a claim. I'll bet you can get more for your used equipment that way!