Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
I have few of his albums, just listened them recently, so I decided to post. Not so famous player, I cant remember that anyone mentioned him lately. Great guitarist, imho. This album is from 1956. On vibes is Eddie Costa, another player who had no chance to show all his potential due. The album is called 'Frivolous Sal' from Sal Salvador

[url]https://youtu.be/nv62s6bwIsU[/url]

[url]https://youtu.be/k5Vj7ZrQCrA[/url]

On my previous post I have put album of Herbie Mann and Bobby Jaspar. On that album the guitar is played buy Joe Puma. This next two albums also I like, its very nice music, from 1954.and 1957. On first, Puma is joined by Barry Galbraith. The album is titled 'East coast'. On second album, called simply 'Jazz' from later date, he plays with Bill Evans, Oscar Pettiford and Paul Motian.The sound here is not so great, but the cd editions sounds very good. Hope you will like it

[url]https://youtu.be/A7qzEaxzC6M[/url]

[url]https://youtu.be/T4sivVnRBmI[/url]

Alex, I liked your posts; Sal Salvador was the man before some of the current guitarists, I liked him. Joe Puma's album had a definite West Coast sound, that's what I was into at that time. Oscar Pettiford is my favorite all time bassist. Mingus is my favorite composer; he has so many boss compositions, but when it comes to just plucking the fiddle, Oscar is my favorite.

The albums you posted remind me of when I was just getting into jazz; these cities, like Chicago, were so much different then; I liked to get dressed and stroll Cottage Grove in the evening near the 63rd street EL train, and eyeball beautiful young girls.

Here's Oscar Pettiford with "Bohemia After Dark"; Chicago was my "Bohemia After Dark"; that's when the city came alive, the night life rivaled New York.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5EwGijmqKc[/url]

Enjoy the music.

Schubert, Wenn Gehirne Benzin waren, würden Sie nicht genug haben, zum des Rollers einer Urinameise anzustellen Bewegungs.

O-10, I really wish you would stop with the unfounded criticisms and attacks. Disagreement backed by examples and data is not "negativity". Negativity on the part of Rok and, more recently, you is what may have driven some posters away. What on earth do you mean "I turned this thread political"? You are the one who consistently brings politics to these discussions. I don’t know how else to try and impress upon you what it is that causes problems with our interaction. From my vantage point you continue to want to make statements that are factually incorrect and then not have any disagreement. Then, when there is disagreement you accuse the person disagreeing of being "negative" and hide behind the "it’s subjective" idea. I am sorry to say that even your most recent post about music demonstrates the dichotomies and contradictions in some of what you post. I point these things out not to pick on you or to be negative, but in an effort to keep the thread relevant.

You have a wonderful way with imagery and descriptions in some of what you write, I appreciate that. But some of what you write is simply not based on verifiable information and is downright misleading to someone wanting to learn about the art form. Example, and this sort of thing happens regularly:

"Sal Salvador was the man before some of the current players". For someone who puts so much stock in having hung out with jazz players, you should know what calling someone "the man" means. Sal Salvador was a very good player; but, "the man"?!. "The man", when he was a contemporary of Jim Hall, Joe Pass, Kenny Burrell and others of a higher stature. If he was "the man", what were the others? If fact, and ironically, Sal Salvador’s biggest legacy is arguably as a jazz educator; something that you seem to have no respect for. Additionally, you criticize "classical people" for the way that they talk about Jazz when by your own admission you never talked to your jazz player friend about music. How do you know? You say you never talked to your friend about music and only about "where to get a good bowl of chili". I could say that this explains a lot, but I prefer to point out that I think it’s time to stop the silly tit-for-tat and try and elevate this thread to something better.  So, please, don't just get upset and accuse me of "negativity"; please tell me what I am missing.  How is Salvador "the man" compared to these other players or current players?

Loved the Pettiford clip; great stuff. Thanks!