Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
justubes2 ...

Yes, you've nailed it. The presentation is more forward with added detail. Audiophile effects as you described. The CD player is on "repeat" from this morning until tonight's listening session. Stay tuned.

david ... 

I've yet to hear an improvement or tweak that involves wire that doesn't need a break in period. My audiophile buddy Robert, who came over last night, made an interesting observation about the fuse change. He said that it reminded him of his first listen to the AT ART-9 when it was new ... "Forward, bright and not relaxed." That ART-9 today, with around 200 hours on it, is an amazing cartridge. A giant killer.

In spite of the initial shortcomings I hear with the BLACK fuses, I'm not worried in the least. The RED fuses were very similar when they were new also, then from one listening session to the next one ... they just opened up in a magnificent way.

I'm expecting these BLACK fuses to to the same ... but eventually surpassing the RED fuses in musicality and involvement. I hear their promise already ... as I described in a previous post regarding the Rachmaninoff piano competition at the L.A. Phil.    The attacks on the piano are already better as is the transparency. Now all we need is a more relaxed and a more flowing presentation. 

Even if the BLACK's are any improvement over the RED's, the difference in price would be worth it for sure. Amazing products. 

Hi Oregonpapa,

Thanks for the initial listening impressions. I agree with David and believe more burn in time is required. Overall musical flow, ease and organic vibe is what works for me. If the Black eventually exceeds the Red fuse in this regard that will be truly noteworthy The Reds get me well immersed into the musical groove.

Charles,.

Charles ...

Once the RED's were broken in, I didn't want to leave the house. Every CD in the collection became a revelation. I'm going to include a Curtis Counce's "Carl's Blues" CD in the listening session tonight in your honor. :-)

wolf-garcia ...

Be assured ... as it usually does during listening sessions at my place, it became quite "mystical" last night. Maybe it was the single malt Scotch and the blue bulb in the floor lamp. 

Oregonpapa,

I am honored, enjoy Mr. Counce and his masterful bass playing.

Charles,

"....... The Furutechs beat the HiFi Tuning by a lot, the SR 20's beat the Furutechs by a little.  Now, I have the SR Reds installed, and they are far and away so superior to the SR 20's.."   .  And there is a new SR Black that is probably light years better then Red.   The guy just lost his mind... out of proportion.
It all depends on a system and even more on the preferences of it's owner.  Cables,  fuses and everything else.. 
hah ... far and away superior...   yea...