Streaming Audio Questions

I've recently started back into the whole stereo game after many years. I am interested in getting into streaming audio to my stereo and have questions I hope to get help with. Is it better to get a streaming system like the Bluesound Node going into my system or is a decent quality DAC from my laptop the way to go? I first heard a Sonos player through some darn good gear at a stereo shop and was underwhelmed with the sound quality. I read on the internet about the hi- res playback of the Bluesound and wonder if that is a good stand alone unit or if a DAC from my laptop would be as good or better than the Bluesound? Are there other hi-res streamers on the market? Is Tidal the only hi- res streaming site? Anyways, a bunch of noob questions I'm sure but I really need some guidance. Opinions would be appreciated.
bhans
If you want a simple, one box system take a look at the Sony HAP-S1. It a DAC and integrated amp and pulls music from a PC onto its hard drive. You just rip you CDs to a computer and then the Sony will transfer them over. From then on you are just dealing with the Sony. Not as versatile as a stand alone PC with JRiver and a separate DAC and amp, but very easy to use and it does not take much space. Sony also has the HAP-Z1ES which has more internal storage but no integrated amp. It is basically a music server with a DAC.

JRiver is software that rips (CDs), manages the library, provides a user interface  and sends tracks to a DAC, usually via usb. It is a very versatile program but does take a little while to learn. It has volume control so you do not necessary need volume control in a DAC. However, most DACs that are meant to drive a power amp directly have volume control.

Ripping vinyl is another matter. You need an A to D converter and software to process the digital files. You can get a simple A to D like a Tascam DR-5 for $100 or you can spend several thousands. Vinyl Studio is a good program for process the files - splitting tracks, tagging (album name, track name, composers, etc.), and removing noise (pops and clicks, hum, etc.) - cost $29.

Some systems like Sonus integrates with Tidal, but JRiver does not. However, you can just run Tidal on the same PC if you are using one for playback. You can pump the Tidal output into JRiver to use its various DSP modes ( (e.g. tone controls)) for playback.

Don't get too wrapped up in the whole jitter discussion. It is important but clearly a secondary issue. First, you need to decide if you want a full PC solution (like JRiver) and a music server (like the Sony above or a BlueSound solution, or Sonus). Part of the consideration is now good you are with a computer and how much time you want to spend managing your library through the PC.

If using the PC solution, you can then decide on a specific solution. There are several DACs with volume controls that drive a power amp. Or you can get a DAC and an integrated or separate pre-amp or power amp.

I would think about how much you want to spend and how much you want to deal with the computer and go from there.
I also use a Wyred4Sound modified Sonos player into a good DAC streaming Deezer Elite (16 bit 44.1khz) with very very good results.  You can also stream redbook from file based sources with good results.  Not a complicated setup, and the app that runs on IOS or Android is very mature.
Thank you for the info and opinions! I am being patient (maybe hesitant) about what my first steps into the digital realm will be. Streaming audio seams logical but getting a good DAC might be the right first step. There are so many ways to go. So many source options it's a bit confusing. Now I see this HiFiBerry setup running Rune audio player. It's pocket change compared to other pieces but does it do all that is claimed? When I put all my gear in the closet years ago there was FM tuner, turntable, tape and CD as sources. Now it's a big ball of confusion!
The absolute best gear for streaming audio has come out of the Head-Fi arena...Have a VERY long look at the UNDER $100.00 HiFiMeDIY"SABRE DAC2" for 24/96KHz. streaming/HiRes files & for DSD or 24/192KHz.the SMSL "M8"at $250.00 is WORLD CLASS!
 Also just use the standard Window Media Player unless your going 24/192 or DSD...