Silverline Speaker Opinion

Awhile back I traded for some original Silverline Menuets. It's the smallest speaker I've owned. 

After putting them in a bedroom system without a sub, I'm really enjoying them. I find myself reading and listening more opposed to watching TV in bed.

For those of you familiar with Silverline, is the Minuet similar to the rest of the Silverline lineup, or just special?

Also, what other speakers are a dead ringer for my tastes if I like the Minuet sound? I'd like to explore other options as I'm starting to understand my preferred sound. Maybe duplicate the experience in my main system. I currently use Usher floorstanders in a 15x18' room, and am happy - but curious.

I'd appreciate your opinions.

Thanks,
gary

uncledemp
Uncledemp - While I can't speak to the Minuets and a Silverline house sound, I did want to jump in and say I recently took delivery of a pair of new Silverline Prelude Pluses.  They have less than 50 hours on them now so some time still remains on burning them in.  I can tell you I am enjoying them a lot.  For the price, they are a steal...at 2x $ they'd still be a steal, in my O-pinion.  Definitely worth making a trip to hear them if you have the time.  Good luck.
Thanks, Ghosthouse, glad you are enjoying them. If they are like the tiny Minuets, I bet they are awesome!

I keep an eye out for the Prelude and Plus, and Newbee recommended adding some other models to the list.

Maybe due to time on the market, I see more preowned Preludes vs Plus for sale. Did you have the opportunity to audition/compare the standard Prelude with the Plus by chance? If so, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,
gary

Hello again Gary -
Nope...broke one of the cardinal rules of audio - I bought speakers without auditioning and didn't even have a 30 day return policy as safety net.  To explain, I got a bug to try a different speaker.  Mainly something more efficient than the Totem Forests I've been running for going on 9 years now.  Add a silk dome tweeter and an affordable price, (i.e., under $3500) to the list.  Initially, I was thinking monitors but came back to floor standers since I had the space.  The Silverline Pluses ticked off a lot of boxes for me.  I really didn't even consider the v2 Prelude (though I read about them as much as possible) because the Pluses had more features that I wanted.  When I saw Underwood HiFi advertising them on A'gon, I gave Walter a call.  His delivered price was very attractive.  Before making a decision, I read as much as I could on-line though there's not a lot on the Pluses.  Much more available info on the original Preludes v1 & 2 but these are a significantly different design.  Frank Alles of StereoTimes was very gracious and helpful.  Tried to contact some A'gon owners and did get some encouraging feedback from a few. So I took the plunge.  Now have around 60 hours on them.  They are more detailed (in a good way) than the Forests.  Soundstage is huge and ambient effects are impressive - there's a LOT of air when called for by the recording. They don't do bass as well as the Forests (at least not yet; but the Forests have many hours on them and are thoroughly broken in and optimally placed).  Total surface area of the 4 mid/woofers on a Plus is greater than that of the single mid/bass driver of a Forest, however.  Still experimenting with placement and planning to live with them a while before deciding whether a sub(s?) is/are necessary.  Right now though the Prelude Pluses do put out plenty of slam and good bass reproduction from things like ZZ Top's Tres Hombres, Bela Fleck's Cosmic Hippo, everywhere on Blacklight Syndrome (Bozzio, Levin, Stevens), and Donal Fagen's Morph the Cat.  On such recordings, I don't feel like a sub is needed.  But, the frequency balance is different than the Forests...bass not always as evident.  A different "sound" was  something I was after in new speakers and they definitely give that.  As a bonus, the Preludes are also better than the Forests in some areas...more refined and sweeter.  You can "see" more of the music.  OK,  hope that ramble is of some little help.  Good luck in your search and getting to a place to hear them.

Ghosthouse,

Great info, thanks. I feel pretty safe buying blind sometimes - no hifi dealers near me in Arkansas, unfortunately.

Some of your descriptions match how I feel about the Minuets. I tried to explain to an audio buddy today how they sound, but ended up just telling him I listen to them more than I usually do- it's as simple as that. 

There are probably many speakers I could feel that way about, but I feel fortunate to have found one for me. The fact that the price is within my comfort zone is great, too. 

Thanks again for the great info- I'm glad you're enjoying yours. Hope to join you at some point.

Warm regards-

PS Gary...

Do read Frank Alles' StereoTimes review(s).

You might try contacting Alan Yun (Silverline Audio) directly and see if you can negotiate some sort of in-home audition.  He will sell direct.  Not sure if he has demo units, however.

A few additional comments...
I didn't mention imaging in my lengthy note above, but it is crazy good.  Center fill (which the Forests also did very well) is really solid.  "Palpable" is an adjective that comes to mind.  Stage depth is more evident than I've heard before, though I'm not saying the Pluses produce it for every track of every recording.  Sometimes it just seems like those audio cues are missing from the recording.  This brings up another point - these speakers seem to make differences in recording quality album to album and even track to track more noticeable.  

I realize a review of the Prelude Pluses was not the intent of your initial post so I hope these comments will give you a some more data points to use in your purchase decision.