Speakers that are very accurate sounding but don't produce an emotional connection.

I have listened to a few speakers over the years that impressed me with their accuracy and presentation of the music, but just did not create an emotional response or connection. I have often wondered what that quality is in some speakers that produce an emotional connection with the listener. This quality has been identified by audiophiles, as "magical", "engaging"  "just right"  "euphonic"  "natural"  "true to life". " "satisfying"  "musical"....  I am sure there are at least 50  other  adjectives that could describe this "quality" of  sound . 

Considering the various aspects  of achieving  good and accurate sound by component synergy, is there a way to explain this so-called magical element that often eludes so many of us??.  I don't think such a feeling is temporal, conditioned by personal moods, or the phases of the moon or sun.  

Like to hear from members who have given some thought to the same issue.    Thanks,  Jim   

BTW, I know the thread is a bit out there, but  I don't think the topic is pointlessly pursuing the genie in the bottle. 

sunnyjim
Thank you Charles.

Good OP and many good responses.
+1 with Nonoise on audiophiles being able to put together systems at any price level that can and do avoid the issue.

Merry Christmas, all!
I agree with David12. Many times, the amp makes the difference. Wilsons to me have sounded uninvolving and sterile with ss, except Dartzeel and D'Agostino-- IMHO I do not particularly care for them with the likes of other great amplifiers like Spectral and Burmester. But various Wilson speakers can  sound extraordinary, depending on the model, with Lamm, ARC, VTL, BAT, VAC and others.
Likewise, I have never been drawn in by Magico, many Focal and B&W's 800 series (except, for B&W, with McIntosh amplification which smoothes things over).
Is it possible that I have not enjoyed the any Magico because I have never heard them with tubes? Sure is. I didn't like B&W's 800 series until I heard them with McIntosh. Goes to show that the synergy between amp and speaker is critical.
Finally, David12--the Daedalus brand along with Tannoy, DeVore and other high efficiency speakers can also sound great---but I've only heard those with tubes.
I agree with David12. I have always hated Wilson speakers until I heard them with great tube gear. I am not saying they are my favorite speaker by any means. But they are definitely listenable with good quality tube gear. I have never understood people running Spectral, Boulder, etc, etc with Wilson speakers. The speakers should come with a warning sign "Tubes only please"

There are so many good responses to the thread, it is overwhelming and impossible to  answer each one.

To Melbguy1  Happy to hear that YG in the new Carmel II strove to deliver more engaging and musical sound.  The originals were outstanding, but a bit typically cold....no,.... not metallic or edgy, or bright.  I was impressed by them, but don't know how long I would have been able to listen.. I would hope for  $24,900, the YG Carmel II  is more than just engaging and  includes a paid voucher for at least 4 days/nights stay in St Thomas , VI. 

To Stereo 5,  I forgot that there was a Rectilinear 3A which I guess was a revision of the original.  One caveat, I should have added in my first response was to keep in mind,  I was awed by the Rectilinear 3 or 3A in 1972, I don't want to do the math on this one,  and heard the IMF's TLS-80   approx. in 1982 or 1983.  So, it is difficult, or maybe smart, not to be hailing a particular speaker that is over 30 years; but, only because the technology of speaker design has advanced:  testing, newer materials, both electronics and  (cabinet) materials  have considerably widened the gap  between what sounded very good then, and what sound very good now.  I happened to be checking out components on E-bay, last week and punched  up "Rectilinear"   A few of the models for sale were fairly beat-up,  with woofers yellowed by time, and tweeters that looked like hack jobs replacement from Joe's used audio parts emporium unlimited. I also noticed the faded rotary tone control which today I would howl at the moon than have on  pair of speakers. Though, in honesty,  Vandersteen's tweeter and  midrange(?) controls on some of their models do convincingly work and make a difference in the sound.    

I heard the Wilson Alexia’s in a treated room with top flight ARC tube gear & was underwhelmed. The bass was slow and flabby which smeared the midrange, they were not as coherent or well balanced as the S5’s, and are not as warm, full bodied or intimate sounding. Sound stage depth was good though. The Alexia’s have airy mids and highs, though I didn’t equate that with greater accuracy. The S5s are definitely more accurate and have better image specificity. I left that room after 30 minutes. I actually preferred a pair of B&W 802d’s paired with Electrocomoaniet amps that night, despite the still bright sounding top end (and I’m not a fan of the 802d).

The Magico S5’s broke new ground for Magico. If you thought the Q3’s sounded analytical, the S5’s have a more laid back presentation, deeper fuller bass & sound warmer. The S5’s are very well balanced and coherent, and *can* draw you into the music with ss gear if matched with the right amps, front end and cables. Vitus Signature series, Pass XA.8 and XS series, Soulution & Audia Flight Strumento all have excellent synergy. For cables, I’ve found Jorma Prime and Statement wire & Siltech Royal Sugnature series have great synergy. I can imagine Kubala Sosna Emotion & Elation also pairing well.

Personally I run Magico S5’s with a Vitus SIA-025, Vitus SCD-025mk2, Gigawatt PC3 SE Evo conditioner, Furutech GTX-D(g) wpo, Jorma Prime and Statement cables & Stillpoints, and find I get an emotional connection to the music which makes me want to sit down and listen. With that said, the new S5 Mk2 speakers I have on order will be on a whole nutha level such that you might have to re-assess your view of Magico speakers Gpgr...